favorite coon set?

After years and years of wanting to get into trapping, this is the first year where I could actually get out there and start. I caught my first coon the other day on a DP trap and he was caught using dry dog food. Put a bunch in the back of the DP and then sprinkled some all around the trap itself. It was staked just off a little coon trail by a good sized creek. I've also been using fish oil, fish food, and a few other things. Been wanting to use some actual tuna fish but haven't had a chance yet.

to bad the old computer crashed, I had a bunch of pics on there of my bucket set, rim set, and a couple other sets I use once n awhile.

If its a wooded area that i'm going to be trapping for years I premake cubbies with heavy dead wood in the summer and prebate. I also like hanging baits in the woods also...part of a deer carcass...beaver carcass and so on...if its legal in your state as it is an exposed bait. If its a brushline by a field or fenceline then I like a dirthole with a good bait and fox urine...it doesnt matter with the coon on the urine...but you may pick up a fox or coyote by doin this

I live trap coon less than 30 feet from my bedroom window. From spring thru fall I watch the coon and caught 38 last year. We live between two lakes and seem to have a never ending supply of hungury coon. My bait of choice is fish based cat food. I usually stake the traps down because coon do turn the traps over and they try to walk off with them after they are caught. Coon don't get caught in my traps twice,but they do observe their friends and family get caught. After a while some coon get trap wise and will do almost anything to get the bait without going in the trap. I bought an old rabbit or chicken cage at a flea mart for near nothing. The cage is all wire and the door will just allow my live trap to fit in. When coon start getting wise to my trap I put bait inside both the cage and my live trap. The live trap is only put in the cage about 1/2 way so coon cannot reach the bait without going into the trap. Then, I stake both the cage and trap down.
Coon also love sunflower seed and will destroy a bird feeder to get it. I made a couple of feeders that I sit on the ground filled with sunflower seeds. During the day, birds use the feeders. At night the feeder gets raided by coon. Those that prefer sunflower seed to cat food make good targets from my garage window. I made the feeder from scrap wood and things I had laying around. A 22 with low power scope and bright flashlight attached does the trick. Please excuse the holes in the feeder, pass thrus go with the territory.

Dp set on pathways to water. Around pond, lakes, or creeks. Easy to set can get a lot of them in at 1 time and also can bait with just about anything.

Last edited:
For January and February coon a 220 in a box. For bait we use fish heads with a egg size scoop of mackerel,we mix 1/3 oz of muskrat gland and 6 oz of honey to a gallon of mackerel. A small smear of raccoon gland based lure is inside the top of the box. See very few pass by tracks in the snow, almost all work and get caught.

Or make a really nice looking yote set or cat sets that are amazing and you just know you will have 1 the next day.. They always seem to mess them up.

Back