73 ELD-M on coyote.

Anybody tried the Hornady 73 ELD-M on coyotes? I'm getting 1/2 MOA out of my AR with them. I hit one in the shoulder Saturday at 150 yds. It walked away, so I waited about 20 minutes. Followed a good blood trail , but never did find it.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeWalked away ?
I've never see a coyote walk away when it was shot at.

What was the angle ? You sure it was a shoulder hit ?

Yep what Tim said!

I am gonna call BS on this!

Quartering away. I shot him out of the kitchen window right at day break. This is first coyote I have ever shot. Being I'm retired I thought I'd get into coyote hunting. Just looking for input from you guys that have been shooting them for awhile. That bullet is insanely accurate from my AR.

Last edited:
Your right. The only reason shoulder stuck in my head was when I was tracking him through CRP ground there were blood clobs in the high grass about 18" high. I'm going out today and look more. I don't understand why he just quit bleeding like he did.

Coyotes can be difficult sometimes. They just don't bleed like other animals, all the time that is. I shot one back the other night with a 75gr amax in a 22-250 and it made it 100 yds. Very little blood to track. DRT is the response you want. Frontal shots are deadly, or right in shoulder.

Back