Advice needed

twhitey

I am looking to get into hunting with a decoy dog. I have zero experience with decoy dogs so please go easy. Does anyone hunt at night with a decoy dog while using thermal and night vision. I know the safety of the dog would be most important as I was thinking we could out fit the dog with a IR beacon. I am looking for advice on a breed that we could possibly keep in the house with the family. Our hunting area is flat ground with small fields and patches a hard woods. Right now we strictly just call at night with good results and would love to add a decoy dog into the mix. Any and ll advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Never hunted with a dog at night. Dont expect it would work real good but I dont know.

Get ya a good ole fashion Cur dog. For a casual hunter wanting a family dog they will be hard to beat. They also have a good track record as decoy dogs without alot of the nonsense other breeds bring to the table.

Originally Posted By: btech29Never hunted with a dog at night. Dont expect it would work real good but I dont know.

Get ya a good ole fashion Cur dog. For a casual hunter wanting a family dog they will be hard to beat. They also have a good track record as decoy dogs without alot of the nonsense other breeds bring to the table. I agree with this 100% the only thing I would add is that if you truly do plan on letting your dog wrestle with the coyote I would be a little leery about bringing it inside the house every single day especially around children. The dog could possibly pick up some type of disease from the coyote, however very unlikely, but if you keep them vaccinated, that will help try to ensure that there's no problems. Like the previous post I quoted a good cur dog would be hard to beat for a decoy dog and a family dog both I have a Catahoula cur that is absolutely perfect decoy/family dog. But like I said I do sometimes worry that she could be exposed to some type of disease or virus that I wouldn't want transmitted to any family member. I may just be a worry wart but it is something I think about

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: btech29Never hunted with a dog at night. Dont expect it would work real good but I dont know.

Get ya a good ole fashion Cur dog. For a casual hunter wanting a family dog they will be hard to beat. They also have a good track record as decoy dogs without alot of the nonsense other breeds bring to the table.

That's the best advice you're gonna get.....Stryker bred if you can find one....

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisWhy risk your dog at night?

Too many things can go wrong, leave it for daylight hours!

Just my opinion

We would never risk the dog at night. This is why I am asking if anyone has done this. I can scratch this plan if it doesn't work both for safety and affectiveness

I use thermal to scan and night vision to id and shoot. I use a mt cur it's been a lot of work and sometimes it works and a lot of times it doesn't. I'm gonna tell you right now if you get over excited and can't function and can't make good split decisions. You probably shouldn't do it. I try to have him come back before I shoot but once I shoot he takes off after the coyote. Last year he ran almost every coyote off that came in. Sometimes he won't see the coyotes and at first when he was a pup he would be out messing around and not see the coyote. But he is staying close anymore. Also the more coyotes you get in front of the dog the better. Also with the dog breed the dog has to have game and be raised correctly as with any dog I believe. The more you use the dog and movement of his body you can tell the difference between the dog and coyote. For the ir on the dog it may help but think it would be useless cause if the dog spins or is buy the coyote the ir maybe out of view. I use a garmin alpha so I can look at it when I can't see him which helps, plus I can beeps him back if I need.

Back