Harley Davidson

2009 Heritage Softail Classic, don't ride much any more due to issues with my balance, which also keeps me on the ground hunting lol no more tree stands.
I'm in SC, so we used to ride pretty much year round.... most up around east Tennessee!

I plan to make the loop across the dams next week if the weather holds. I will burn a tank of gas and get a a burger and rings to eat while lookind across Sam Raybun Res.

Sunny and 65 today. Well not really, the temperature gauge on my street glide is stuck on 65. It was a little windy but I managed to get an easy ride in. All of the fluids are changed and I am ready for a trip.

When spring comes around and they get the anti skid swept up mine will be out again.. I need an oil change and I think the compensator is going also.. Vicious kick back that sounds awful..

Know what you mean about the sand in the road.
It was warm a couple days after a skiff of snow and all the sand and stuff was still on the roads.
Never thought about that to start with but is was like being on #6 shot.
Just cut the block and back home.

Dan, is that bike chugging when riding slow in first or second gear? If it is you may want to check your primary tensioner adjustment. A loose primary chain will cause that, but so will the compensator. Compensator is a lot more work though. Living in Pa., you still have time on your side. Hope to get up your way pretty soon. I have some Marine Corps friends around Hershey.

No chugging.. Just when it gets hot it kicks back when try to start it.. Replaced the battery and still has the problem.. Thought might be out of time, but it runs to [beeep] good.. Dan

07 heritage? FI so it isnt vapor locked. Has to make a full cycle before firing unless you have an aftermarket ignition. Is it rebuilt to 10: or higher?

I will assume that by kicking back you mean that when you try to crank it, the starter engages but stops like it has a weak battery. But when you try again it will cycle through and crank?

Is the starter getting hot? Almost sounds like your charging system is going south. Has to be, battery, you eleeminated that, loose primary chain,compensator, or stator not fully charging. Did the 07 still have an inspection cover on the primary cover?
I went from an 01 to a 12 and realized that screws were missing when I changed to oil in the primary.

Last edited:
Its softail custom... It was punched out to a 103..it wow good for the first year then just last year it started the kickback.total miles are 20k.. Not sure when they bumpbit up to 103.. Barley shop said bendix, I can hear a whine like under the cover so that's why I am thinking its under the cover...

I have an 05 Road King Classic. Ride every chance I get. I haven't rode it in the last few weeks as I been busy at the gun club rebuilding our wobble trap platform. Weathers been decent, just no free time. Now that its done, I'll air out the RK some more.

Dan, there shouldnt be anything whining inside the primary. Nothing in there but a cluth, chain, and sprockets. Hopefully some oil too. The 103 upgrade might have neede compression releases. That whine is probably the fuel pump. It will re-prime every time that you hit the starter and it doesnt crank.

You could pull the primary cover and watch it when you hit the starter and see if the tensioner is letting the starter throw slack in the chain. I would bet not though since you say it doesnt chug at slow when slow rolling in first or second. Higher compression is hard on harley starters and batteries. Bendix may be shot.

The wife and daughter left me. They decided that they would take the trike back to Big Bend. I got home from work Friday evening and the wife had washed the trike and trailer and was drying it off. She asked if I had anything to do it before she left. I told her the fluids are changed and the clutch is adjusted so once I check your tire pressure youll be good. I told her that I hope it rains. She laughed and said that she has a good rain suit. They are off playing and I am stuck working to supply the play money.

I made a little tour up to Yellow Hammers neck of the woods yesterday. I left home under cloudy skies and headed north. Tyler was the goal. A co-workers brother in law has a tattoo shop there and I thought some fresh ink was in order. After stopping off for a burger in a favorite little dive on hwy69 I continued my journey. When I got north off Lufkin I started to think that 2 or 3 hours in a tattoo chair wasnt where I wanted to be. So I pulled up the street glide and headed south again. Just south of Huntington I turned left and crossed SamRayburn lake. Back on my side of the lake the sun was shining warm and bright. So I rode a little faster with Stevie Ray singing Living Life By the Drop. I rolled into the barn with just under 270 miles added to the clock.

My son was just getting in from college and wanted to go fishing. So we loaded up some poles and headed to the river bottom abot 3 miles from home and caught some bowfin before dark. Not bad for one day away from work.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day.
Having some work done on my bike.
Duels and Thundermax with dyno tune.
Got a problem on the ignition side.May be the coil though I am hoping for just a bad wire.
Should know tomorrow I think.
Fuel side set up nice but spark was breaking down at higher RPM.
Had bad plug wires.
It was time for a tune up.
Had not been running bad but the dyno showed the ignition issue.

Edit
Got it back today. Boy what a difference.
Sounds good runs good all is good.

Last edited:
Back