Mating Ritual

Wile E Coyotie

Some times you gotta - jump in and get it done- regardless of the conditions-
Plenty of snow and extreme cold – has kept me on the sidelines - - I took a run at it a few times but it was just way too cold- - but see now we r into plus temps-today and the last few days so I have been aching to go-

most of all the secondary roads are blown over with snow- and so access to outer area is non option – and/or lots of noise –getting around and hard on your truck 4x4-

I headed east 1 hr - as the report of snow levels was said to b less-- to a location that holds a lot of cows – over a 15 mile radius- may b 5-8000- cows -

Coyotes gotta eat and any bone pile will create activity – I truthfully prefer to call and shoot yodie- verses –stalk and shoot- off a bone pile------so -I use the terrain and – wind - -work close in and around the main routs and yards

1st Set –Plus 2C -1:30 pm –south breeze-only small tree rows on the horizon -
This old boy right here run right up to 60 yards and stopped when I raised my arm-
#1026- Alpha male sable white sable red--- It was a new set up location for me –I have worked the area –in the past -- - he showed up on the horizon like a battle ship-running full tilt –Hard Charge- 4.5 mins

2nd set –
Before I turned the call on I could count 8 doggs- in the ¼ section – all over 600 yards out—I was right down into a belly crawl to get into position on them –and did not study them too much after getting set up-

I remember thinking i have 4 rounds – and that I would take the 1st one to arrive
– I expected them to Blow Up and come running in---- but was really surprised to see no reaction at all—

I figure there is a kill up there –or something holding them together – then 4 break away and start a long trot my way—I let them come and can see they r going to go for the wind --
-half way to me a large dark one in the line is acting all submissive – running up and parking it in front of others half mounting the other- and in the lead is a big white one –stopping to fight with the others
– I am thinking they r mating -and together on the hill before my arrival-
some sort of - right of passage where all 8 of them were ---well you - know-- mating ritual playing out- doggy style no pun intended-

-They r feet away from smelling my stink- and with a good hold –I let one rip out at the dark one – missing by a fair sort- 360 yrds- they scatter and I find one standing about 450 yards shooting just over him –

3rd set –I was just getting out of the truck looking at the fresh dogg track in front of me – when up the side wall of the coulee trots a big sable rug-- -I didn’t range him – he did not know I was there – I rushed the shot and shot over him 375 yrds-
Now I have a complex with my rifle- confidence- ringing the bell out there at 400 yards should not be as allusive
-

4th set No show-

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

You just showed us that you are human and you do miss once in awhile ( haha ) Just having fun with you. Anyone that has shot that many coyotes has a lot of time and experience into it. And as always it great to see the pics and story to follow your hunt. Thanks

great read Wile, sometimes a man's just gotta get out there no matter the cold eh.
often it seems it is confidence, that can make or break a rifle.

Back