Would you call this a predator? NEW PICTURES

Glad you guys are having some fun checking out the pictures. As crazy as it sounds, the fishing there was poor by their standards. The snow pack in the mountains west of the desert area we were in was the lowest in 30 years. That fact made for very low flows in the river and a lack of fish concentration in the estuary of the river in the lake. In a normal year it's not out of the question to catch 10 times as many BIG rainbows. There are numerous fish over 20 pounds caught in that area every year. I saw one that I estimated in the 33 to 35 inch range and I'm sure that guy weighed 25 pounds.

This water is in a REMOTE area that is hard to appreciate without knowing some of the details. The camp needed propane so they loaded up all the tanks and took of in a Toyota Hilux diesel pickup and drove 7.5 hours ONE WAY to get it. They had fire wood there in spite of there not being a tree to be seen anywhere for a loooooong way. I asked where the wood came from and they told me they haul it in from 5 hours away. When someone talks about the middle of nowhere I think they might be talking about this area. It's my kind of place.

Originally Posted By: MatlockFeeling pretty envious seeing all those big, beautiful fish. I hope you got to take some home.? There's no practical way to get any fish home from there even if you wanted to. There's minimal refrigeration on site. We did eat one fish during our stay. About a 15 pounder. I'm not a fan of trout or salmon to eat, but these fish feed on scuds so their flesh in pink like a salmon without the salmon taste. The little Argentine gal that baked it put a mild sauce on it and I have never had any better fish anywhere any time.

There may be better ways to spend your time, but someone would just have to show me. CONGRATS on your bountiful success in "poor conditions".

WOW !
Congrats on making the trip of a lifetime !
thumbup1.gif

Back