First called in raccoon

Cookie125

This morning was a bust on a spot I've been seeing cat tracks and another where I was hoping for a coyote. On the walk out I set the caller up towards a brush pile with some small shrubs in between. It wasn't even a minute and a half into calling when I see the first raccoon running up a two track towards the call. I never had a clear shot on this one but had another come in from another direction that offered a great shot. I've been wanting to try calling raccoons, especially with my Savage B-mag. That little .17 really did the trick.

Last edited:
Careful, raccoon hunting is slightly more addictive than heroin. My daughter and I have made it a Friday night ritual. Fortunately, we live in the raccoon capital of the world. What sounds were you using? I've been having good luck with the raccoon fight. Only been a few times that I didn't get a response.

awesome! congrats!. I've been thinking of getting into some raccoon calling over here in my neck of the desert. I always see there tracks while i'm yote calling but never have had a starting point on how to approach it. My caller does have raccoon fight, maybe I will give that a try. Do raccoons come out during the day?

Jimmy917 I understand what you mean I'm already wanting to get back out after them. I was using the raccoon fight that came on my FoxPro.

Ivhunter I shot this one at about 0950 this morning.

Go get em. I'm at 48 this year so far, and haven't spent more than 30 minutes at a time. I don't try very hard. We go in, get 2-3, and go home. I get paranoid that my daughter thinks I'm dragging her out there. She calls them Trash Pandas.

Wish I could be having that luck. I have tried and abandoned building with no luck and its a spot I've trapped a lot of coons. Two big brush pukes near a pond where I have up to 8 coons at a time on trailcamera and an old barn. Maybe I'm missing something lol. Then again I am very much new to this. Planning on trying a long stretch of river with my uncle this next week hopefully we'll have some luck.

Congrats! I just found out this was doable this year too. I tried it with a coon squaller. I parked and scanned the trees in our farm from the truck and spotted two sets of eyes about 120 yards away so I figured I would go try it. I hit the call and within 30 seconds I had one coming right towards me. I never thought it was going to work so I wasn't ready to take a shot and it got away. But I can see this being a LOT of fun.

this morning I had a hard lesson on call placement and patience with calling coons. I went out with my uncle this morning and had one come out of a hollow cottonwood and perch himself on the lip of the hole. After all was said and done I was wishing I had placed the caller further south of the tree to force him further out of the hole. I also wish I had attempted a change of sound or something to see if he would have committed. Since I could see his hind feet out of the hole I took the shot with my B-mag and he rolled backwards instead of falling out of the hole. Since it wasn't too high into the tree is did try taking a latter up to look at the hole and the hollow is as deep as the tree is high. I'm really kicking myself for not being more patient. I'm still very much new to coon calling and it shows. I do have a question though, will this den ever produce again or will it be a season or more before it does?

Here's a pick of when he first poked out of the den hole.

We use barbed wire to snake warm furbearers out of trees, culverts, out from under sheds and den holes. Even if you are careful you still can have a wounded animal get into its den. Leather gloves, 20-25 ft of fresh wire. Works for coyote ,Fox,raccoon. Seems to ruin the tree for a season or two, if one dies inside.

So wished we could do that here in NC. Only way a coon can be legally hunted here is at night and you have to be using dogs. The dog groups have a large influence here. Only things you can actually harvest in NC using electronic callers is Coyote, crow and feral hogs and Coyote and feral hogs are the only things that can be hunted at night. I thought I would never see Sunday hunting here but it finally happened some years back. Maybe someday we can hunt all predators and varmints day and night with callers.

I tried some old barded wire that was there, but might try it again. On another site someone mentioned #9 wire with a treble hook, so may try that if the barbed wire doesn't work. I really dont want to mess up this den since it appears to be a good one.

Love your B-Mag! I've got one just like it! Only I painted mine green and I did the bedding job cleaned the barrel channel up it shoot great!

Marco did you keep the original stock? I'd like to get a Boyds stock and bed it. Right now though I've been ing up pigeons, starlings and now raccoons and coyotes out to 100yards so its been plenty accurate as it is currently.

Yes it's the original one. Glad I kept it on! Paint job looks good. Ordered one From Boyd's but after 2 months and no stock and then they lied about it told them to stick the stock up you know wear and got my money back!

Definitely addicting! I remember one year I must of hunted more than going to work
smile.gif
Then reality sunk in
frown.gif

But I'll be back!

Marco that stinks, thats the first complaint I can remember hearing about Boyd's.

Evilcoon work definitely makes it tough to get out and hunt, think I may just have to plan a day off.

I had a bad wind switch while deer hunting tonight and left early on my way home I noticed a coon climbing out of a tree, I'm really going to have to figure out who owns that ground so I can try asking for permission. Makes me want to hunt even more

Last edited:
Back