835 vs. 535 vs. Nova vs. V3 vs. Versamax

Originally Posted By: liliysdadRidiculousness....but I am OK with it. Means less folks want Expresses, and keeps them cheap on the used market.

And no, there isnt "a whole lot of quality difference..." but carry on.

I've owned three Express Model 870's and every one of them had issues of one sort or another. Conversely I've owned numerous Wingmaster's to include one that is now 58 years old and pretty much blue less and silvery in color that has never once choked in any way. I ran herd on a couple dozen of the 870P models for eight years and had no issues with them either. I'm not stingy, you can have my share of the Express 870's. Wingmaster for me, thank you very much.

Like I said earlier, and in repetition, the Express guns are built cheaper by cutting corners in easily remedied places. In a few minutes, and for a very few dollars, each and every one of them can be fixed.

As for the 870P vs Express, we currently have about 50 870s in the field, split almost exactly between Police and Express models. Interestingly enough, we had to send some of the Police models back for repairs that were outside of the armorer's scope of practice....but have yet to have an issue with any of the Express guns with the exception of the fragile XS rear sights they came with.

Yes, Rose Action Sports. He does good work.

And yes, Remchokes are pretty common, and typically cheap.

That shotgun would make a heck a HD gun, but would need some work to set up for hunting. Barrel/Choke work, new stock unless you like the Speedfeed PG, sights, or D&T for scope base. Still a good price, on a great gun, but nickels and dimes add up. I actually paid less than that for my Special Purpose Turkey 870 off a pawn shop rack. 21" Vent Rib barrel, choke tubes, ready to hunt.

As long as you are aware of the cost, I dont think you can go wrong with that gun at all. If you like the stock, then you are good...its a Speedfeed, very high quality. You might want a new forearm, as the sporting versions make life little easier, but they are cheap.

if you are a good shopper, you can often pick up a 21" VR barrel for around 150, already threaded.

Or u could leave it as is and hunt hogs
Save all the extra cash on barrels and chokes and get a trijicon mro or eotech and u have a great hog/HD shotty.

I still want more choke than Cyl hunting hogs...[beeep], I want more choke than Cyl for defense purposes. Not saying it doesnt work as is, but screw in chokes are too versatile not to have.

Totally agree with everything you just said. My thing is though, for $250 brand new, i would buy it just cuz of the great deal and put MINIMAL money into it in terms of upgrades, and dedicate it to a very specific role (hog/HD etc.). To me that particular shotgun SCREAMS dedicated cqb slug gun!
I would then go buy the exact shotgun I've always wanted with all the chokes i wanted and all the upgrades i wanted and dedicate it to a variety of purposes that are anything and everything EXCEPT for hog hunting or home defense. Remember there is no such thing as a do-it-all firearm and that is especially true for shotties. So when you can get a quality gun that fills an entire specific role perfectly, for that price, you have to jump on it if you can afford to. Otherwise you're gonna be holding that 30 inch Benelli Black Eagle you've always wanted and think gee this is a great gun but i don't think i can effectively use this in my home against a threat, wish i had got that 870 with the speedfeed back when it was 250. That' just one man's opinion though.

Also, i, personally do not believe a shotgun of any kind is a great home defense gun, but that's another discussion, and i know there's a lot of people out there who do like shotties for that purpose. Which is why this gun we're discussing is set up the way it is by Remington.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RahlowNo Remington 870 for me, simply because the slide release is in front of the trigger

Get into a lot of high speed slide releasing?

I've been checking the pawn shops, but mostly 835s.

I found an 870 Super Mag Special Purpose for $300 with turkey choke and sling in Realtree.

I have seen alot of comments on the super mags being horrible, but not alot lately. Have the issues been fixed?

Back