Got a gray last Friday

whitetail436

With the wife and kids out of town last weekend it was an optimum time to hit the fields for some night time predator hunting. My cousin came along as well.

First stand was on a new piece of property that was used as a dump site for deer carcasses and apparently the coyotes had been tearing them up. Nothing showed on this stand so it was off to another property where I had only hunted once.

The field that we were hunting was along a major road but we parked in the front and walked all the way to the back of the field. We set the caller in the edge of a grassy area next to an older cutover. We backed up about 30 yards and set up for shooting in the field. To our right in the distance was a small neighborhood. After calling for a short while with no luck I switched the call to whitetail distress. I picked up movement on the thermal coming from the neighborhood. I could tell from the short time I saw it that it was either a fox or coyote as it slipped into the think cutover.

After scanning constantly looking for movement in the cutover I finally spotted the fox sitting in the small grassy area behind the call. I switched to the gun with the Photon and flipped on the IR light. The fox started moving to the right and I let off a shot. I could hear the impact as the suppressor muffled the gun blast. I saw the fox run hard to my right and disappear.

After a few minutes I went down to look for the fox and it took a little while to find with the thermal as he had fallen in some tall broom straw. The bullet struck the front shoulder and ricocheted on his side taking a strip of fur off.

No luck on the last two stands of the night but at least I had some fur on the ground.

Back