Best Sabot Slug for a Mossberg 500 Slugster?

NY Yote hunter

I have a Mossberg 500 Slugster, and I have shot 2 kinds sabot slugs out of it so far. I have shot the hornady sst which is really accurate but I was far from impressed on the performance on deer. I also shot lightfields out of it and the performance on deer is amazing but it is not very accurate out of my gun. Does anyone have a 500 and sabot combination that works great for them?

All slug guns are going to be different just like every other gun. What might work in my gun might not work in yours.

Best bet, pick up a few more different sabot slugs.

My SX2 slug gun isn't picky.

Hornady SST (you already tired these.)
Federal w/Barns bullets
Winchester Partition's.

Killed 2 does and 1 8pt with the Winchester Partitions. 3 shots = 3 dead deer. 2 does were shot though both shoulders. Buck was heart/lung shot. All 3 deer traveled less then 60yds.

theres 4 of us in our hunting party with 500's & we all use remington accutips 23/4 length, all the guns shoot about the same, 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards, very deadly on deer. the winchester gold partition in 23/4 also work very well on deer but dont seem to group as well as the remingtons.

My mossberg shoots the 12ga 2 3/4 Lightfield Hybrids accurate to 100 yrds . I have shot 6 deer in the past 4 years ranging from 35 to 100 yards and it just takes them right down where they stand . With that slug I zero dead on at 50 yrds and it shoots about 2in low at 100 yrds . I trust my gun and the slug is just devastating on deer . My son runs a Mossberg barrel on his Remington 870 and gets the identical performance with the Lightfields .

I would also recommend Rem Buck hammers ,I bought my youngest son a Bantam youth combo rifled barrel 20ga. At the range at 50yrds they grouped almost clover leafed the same as Light fields. At only $6.70 a box compared to the price of Light fields.Also the 1oz slug is as devastating, I shot 2 doe this year one at 117yrds and one at around 40yrds and had complete pass through on both. The first made only around 30yrds and piled up the second was DRT. I shoot a Win 1300 12ga w/rifled barrel and really like the Light fields but the accuracy and the performance of the Buck hammers were the same and at almost half the cost.I'm also thinking of getting a rifled barrel for my Moss 500 turkey gun.

Again...old thread for me but figured I'd add my 2 cents. I have 3 mossberg 500's 2 of them with cantilever slug barrels...one in 20Ga (9 Years)and the other in 12Ga.(2 years) I prefer my 20 ga all day long but the 12 ga is a serious brush buster and has its place. (usually in the hands of a buddy)

12ga is not as accurate as the 20ga. I find the remington 2 3/4 accutip are acceptable shooting 3 inch groups at 100. The winchester 3 inch XP3 shoot slightly better groups but are uncomfortable to shoot. Mine did not like the hornady sst. I tried about 6-7 different loads. I will try the lightfields, win partition and copper solids in the next couple weeks since the season is done and I'm bored. There has to be a better load than 3 inches at 100.

20ga is a tack driver with the Hornady SST shooting consistent 1-1.5 at 100. Flatter.I only tried 2 other 20 ga loads and neither came close so I stopped trying.I have mine sighted at 150 and have taken several deer at 150+ with my best being a large 6 point at 178 yards. He dropped without taking a step. I feel its easily good to 200 yards with nice my 3-9X 40

BOTH calibers and loads drop deer in their tracks. I prefer the 20 though...not as much damage, flatter with better accuracy and range, and just as effective. Largest deer in my life (235# dressed)was with the 20ga from 60 yards and he crumpled.

Back