Hornady Magnum Coyote?

OKRattler

Has anyone ever used these out of a Dead Coyote choke? Modified and Improved Cylinder are recommended but I don't have either one for my shotgun. I figure maybe the tighter chokes mess the wad up or something but I don't know. I didn't know it until after the fact but it's too late now since I already bought those expensive things. Will a Dead Coyote choke not work?

I could avoid alot of things by just paying attention. If I would have just read up on them and did that thinking thing with my mind like alot of people do I'd have realized I don't have anything except full chokes in my shotguns. Nope not me. If I see something I buy it and worry about it later. That's my style.

Actually I do have a cylinder bore choke laying around somewhere. That might be the best I can do for now until I can order a modified.

It sure would be handy if we could use buckshot here. Oklahoma should really keep up with the times when it comes to predator huntin. The laws in place as of now are out of date big time. No night hunting or buckshot....really helpful. I enjoy it alot.

Nice! I'll read through that. I'll probably end up testing them out with both my cylinder bore choke and my Dead Coyote although I don't have high hopes for the cylinder bore. I might be surprised though. I won't rule it out until I know for sure.

I sent a wad of it out of an improved cylinder at a coyotes face from about 30 yards two weekends ago. no carcass was recovered.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerOh man that's no good. You hit it though I would assume? Or is the pattern all jacked up shootin through your choke?

I'll just say I've been disappointed in the patterning...
especially after reading a rave review of the exact same load out of the exact same gun on another website.

That's bad news. Hopefully I can get them to pattern good enough to at least make some money back on them if they're not any good. Then I'll probably start shootin some 3 1/2" Heavi Metal BB.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerThat's bad news. Hopefully I can get them to pattern good enough to at least make some money back on them if they're not any good. Then I'll probably start shootin some 3 1/2" Heavi Metal BB.

i would shoot about any lead bb before doing that^^^

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerThat's bad news. Hopefully I can get them to pattern good enough to at least make some money back on them if they're not any good. Then I'll probably start shootin some 3 1/2" Heavi Metal BB.

i would shoot about any lead bb before doing that^^^

From what I've read up on it,it's supposedly denser than lead or supposed to be. I can get it pretty easily is why I figured I'd try it. But I don't know that it's recommended to shoot out of a Dead Coyote choke either.

I guess I should have titled this thread,what can I shoot through a Dead Coyote choke? Because as of lately.....not much.

a word to the wise about those heavy metal bb loads. in those shells there is a mixture of steel pellets and hevi metal pellets. more of the steel than the hevi metal.

they really suck for coyotes. really.

I'll keep that in mind. I mostly use a rifle so I'm really not up to date on alot of things pertaining to shotguns. It's a pain finding lead shot in the biggest legal sized shot though I've discovered. Most of it is designed for waterfowl hunting. #2 lead shot might do alright I'll just have to see if I can find any to order. Surely inside 40 yards #2's would hammer a coyote or bobcat I'd imagine.

Don't buy Hevi-Metal BB loads for coyotes! The BB shot in these loads are just steel shot. The Hevi-Metal shot in Hevi-Metal loads are just a little denser than steel, they are not as dense as lead and they will be much smaller than the steel BB shot.

There is no Hevi-Shot that is denser than lead in Hevi-Metal loads.

Steel shot does not even compare to lead shot for penetration and energy. Steel shot slows down way faster than lead shot or denser than lead shot.

I just put a bunch of different shot types and speeds into my KPY Shotshell Ballistic program. I am sure this program is not 100% accurate but it is pretty close. All of these loads but the last three have 3.50" of gel penetration. They say you need 1.5" of gel penetration for ducks and 2.5" of gel penetration for geese. My guess is 3.5" of gel penetration is close to what you need for coyotes.

Make sure you look at the speeds of the steel loads and the target ranges. The Target ranges tell you the distance of the gel penetration.

2017-01-19%2018.29.58.jpg

Tests #1 and #2 show the big difference between steel shot and lead shot, even with the steel shot going 250 fps faster than the lead shot.

Tests #7,#8 and #9 shot types will be close to what Hevi-Metal BB load performance would be.

Lead #2 shot will hammer a bobcat and it will kill a coyote if you can shoot it in the head, neck and chest area. But lead #2 shot is not a good coyote load. A good coyote load should be able to break down or kill a coyote even when the shot angle is not good.

i bought a whole case of federal premium wing shok awhile back. it is a 3 inch shell loaded with 1 7/8oz copper plated lead bb. case full is way more than i will need. if you are interested in a box or 2 i could make you a good deal on it. this stuff patterns good for me through a full choke.

debryacresbob,Thanks for taking time to post that. Very interesting. You have alot of time put into that. Honestly I thought Hevi Shot was better than lead. But then again I don't know a whole lot so....

SlickerThanSnot I appreciate that buddy. I'll test those Heavy Magnums out today. I'll probably tape a paper plate to a box to see how good it'll do at 35 or 40 yards. If they won't pattern good I might take you up on that. I just hate for you to have to do that on my behalf especially if they shoot good for you. I'll post back later on and let y'all know how my shotgun does with the Hornady's.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread. As a new predator hunter - currently only have a rifle setup - I'm trying to learn everything I can about close-quarters hunting with a shotgun. This helps a lot!

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerdebryacresbob,Thanks for taking time to post that. Very interesting. You have alot of time put into that. Honestly I thought Hevi Shot was better than lead. But then again I don't know a whole lot so....

SlickerThanSnot I appreciate that buddy. I'll test those Heavy Magnums out today. I'll probably tape a paper plate to a box to see how good it'll do at 35 or 40 yards. If they won't pattern good I might take you up on that. I just hate for you to have to do that on my behalf especially if they shoot good for you. I'll post back later on and let y'all know how my shotgun does with the Hornady's.

Hevi-Shot is denser than lead.

Hevi-Metal shot is just a little denser than steel.

Only some of the shot in Hevi-Metal loads is Hevi-Metal shot and the rest of it is just steel shot.

The Hevi-Metal shot in Hevi-Metal loads is much smaller than the shot size that it shows on the box.

Hevi-Shot Goose loads are selling for around $45.00 for a box of ten shells.

Back