what tripod and cradle for rifle.

varminter .223

Looking for advice on what gadget seems to be the ticket for shooting off of. I see where some guys are using a cradle on top of a tripod. I assume standing is the way to go. I have a Caldwell field pod but it is the short one.

I really like the pig saddle. Currently have it on a bog pod CLD, which is ok.. I often wonder if I'd have liked the trigger stick better.

Last edited:
Any type of bipod that attaches to the rifle or holds it in a shooting position works pretty good for night hunting. I do not recommend using shooting sticks or other devices that require you to hold them in place since it can complicate things when your vision is impaired (due to darkness) and adrenaline is pumping at the sight of something coming in fast (and not where you expected it). I personally use the Coldwell Field Pods and use velcro straps to hold my gun in the cradle. Kevin

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioI really like the pig saddle. Currently have it on a bog pod CLD, which is ok.. I often wonder if I'd have liked the trigger stick better.

Another vote for the pig saddle....I really like mine.

I bit the bullet and got an aluminum Manfroto tripod and Manfroto ball head to use with my pig saddle. Used it all weekend at night in a competition and it worked great! If it weren't for the legs being able to flop out easily on the Bog Pod I would have left it on there.

Originally Posted By: ncyotecallerI bit the bullet and got an aluminum Manfroto tripod and Manfroto ball head to use with my pig saddle.

Same here. It is a very nice set up.

Originally Posted By: ncyotecallerI bit the bullet and got an aluminum Manfroto tripod and Manfroto ball head to use with my pig saddle. Used it all weekend at night in a competition and it worked great! If it weren't for the legs being able to flop out easily on the Bog Pod I would have left it on there.

What do you mean by the legs flopping out...I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a pig saddle for my bog pod

I usually sit o a small Camp Stool that as extended legs at night. I am sure I am missing a lot of game moving around me. I am thinking about getting a decent Tripod and Pig Saddle for steady night time use.

I have a Polaris Ranger and a full sized camo net I can throw over it day or night.

Can somebody recommend a decent Tripod and Pig Saddle

I am 6'6" tall, I would like to either stand or sit on a raised type of stool.

Not looking to spend $300 for a Tripod it's Coyotes, not Gold Bars!!

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisI usually sit o a small Camp Stool that as extended legs at night. I am sure I am missing a lot of game moving around me. I am thinking about getting a decent Tripod and Pig Saddle for steady night time use.

I have a Polaris Ranger and a full sized camo net I can throw over it day or night.

Can somebody recommend a decent Tripod and Pig Saddle

I am 6'6" tall, I would like to either stand or sit on a raised type of stool.

Not looking to spend $300 for a Tripod it's Coyotes, not Gold Bars!!

Thank you

Look at the weight rating of tripods, you will want one that is rated for more than the combined weight of your rifle/optics/ball head/pig saddle.
I bought a Manfrotto 055 used from Adaroma Camera for $155.00. That is not all that much more than the Bog Pod and it is way heavier built.
I also bought a manfrotto ball head from them, used. for $97.00.
Then add $135.00 for the pig saddle, plus shipping for everything and you are right at $400.00 for the entire set up.
I will agree that is a lot of money, but you will probably be happy with it.
I know what my rifle and NV scope cost me, I was afraid to cut corners with a rifle support system.

Last edited:
i have the Bog Pod tripod with the XSR rest. in my opinion use whatever you fill comfortable with and practice shooting off of it. when groundhog hunting i use my tripod, this lets me know my limits standing and also sitting. this way when you get a chance to harvest something it becomes second nature

Originally Posted By: DarknightI wonder if a pig saddle on a primos trigger stick would work well? Anyone tried that?

The screw on my trigger Sticks is a lot bigger than 1/4x20. You may be able to find an adapter.

Both of the trigger sticks that I have are equipped with a 3/8 hollow screw that has the 1/4 x 20 screw inside. The 3/8 can be pushed down so the 1/4 can be used or the heavier type 3/8 can be used for mounts that need the stronger attachment.

You guys are finding some good deals. Cheapest Manfrotto tripod and ball was like 330 + 135 for the saddle. Havent bit the bullet on this yet.

Back