Stevens 200 accuracy

I was at the range yesterday and a grandfather and his grandson were shooting a new Stevens 223 with the scope package. It was holding 7-8 inch groups at 200 yards. I have no idea of their abilities and the ammo they were shooting.

I'm sure it would have shot better with a decent scope and good ammo.

I have a 243. Replace the flimsy stock, and relaod. You will be supprised Stiff stock and torque action screws 1/2 MOA is attainable

This is what mine is currently doing at 100 yards, 5 shot group. I have a Stevens 200 with a factory stock, Rifle Basix trigger, and an old Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40. The trigger is a little on the light side (1 lbs. pull currently) as one shot caught me off guard and went wide left.
0129121701b.jpg

Originally Posted By: foxxproIt is very accurate for what it is. You can shoot around 1in groups. Even with the awful trigger. Mine shoots good as long as i dont clean it. I cleaned it and it went all to pieces. I have shot about 100 shots since cleaning it and it is back to 1in groups.

100% agree with this. Mine does not like to be clean either when I clean it it is not a full on clean EVER. I put some bore foam down it let it soak for 30 run a few patches down it to get the fluid out and it is good for another 200 rounds or so. I have said from day one i could not believe what Savage has to offer at very decent prices. My 200 in .223 can hold 1 inch groups all day long and it has at least 2k down the pipe. I will try and post some pictures later of my groups, but I have several at 5/8-1 inch if I have saved any of the pics.

100_0215.jpg

This is not the best picture but it is 6 shots. The first 5 all on top of one another and I thought keep shooting lets see if I can get a 10 shot group MOA or close and number 6 I pulled so I ruined the group.....but you can see when the shooter does his job they are awesome. I have friends that have bought the 22-25,.243, 270, 3006 and the .308 and all have shot real well. The .308 was really finicky and Savage told him exactly what round to use and that solved the problem.The rest however are awesome and shoot really well.
100_0252.jpg

this is the group i settled on with my stevens 200 in 223, i just cut half grain under published max and loaded 5 up with two other loads. its 25gr tac and a 69gr nosler custom competition bullet at 100yds
858.jpg

the dot is a dime outlined with a sharpie

Last edited:
at 2-300 its gonna be the shooter more that the gun. if you can hold .25MOA at 100 your groups should be good at that also. i need to put the other trigger in my gun. i cant hold steady well enough to shoot decent groups at 300 with my factory trigger. i can hold 1" at 200 most of the time.

I have relaoded many years and played the bench rest game. As far as accuracy goes an MOA rifle is an an MOA rifle. Now let me elabarate. Cases weighted and of same lot, trimmed same length, powder weighted and of same lot, same primers and of same lot, bullets of same lot. If anything is diffrent then excpect things to change. There is also shooter Technique if your technique is flawed this will be compounded the father the target is. Just my 2 cents

and we will not mention weather conditions

Last edited:
Mine is a 7-08, for some reason savage went with a 11.5" twist instead of the usual 9. After bedding, trigger overhaul, and lots of load development I'm getting 1.25" groups. I've thought about a new barrel and stock but a new AR took precedence.

I have only been working with mine for a little over a month, its been to the range three times. I fully expect it to live up to the super lofty expectations. They are a great rifle, my only dislike is the center feed mag...

old post but just in case anyone is looking at one. I have one in .223. Trigger is a bit heavy but crisp and in my opinion acceptable. I have found two off the shelf loads that will shoot .75 or better. Hornady Vmax 55gr and Aussie Outback 55gr Sierra Blitz King. All I did was put proper optics on it. As someone mentioned, it does shoot a little better dirty-ish. Great gun for the money

OP started this 8 years ago, quite a old thread... thats goin way back.

But the Stevens 200 is my favorite rifle. Ive bought 4 since 2008 and all combined i dont have $600 in them. 223, 243s, and a 25-06.
My first was the 223 and ive got over 4000 rounds thru it so far. It will still do 1.25-1.5" groups with 52gr AMAX reloads. It has killed a many a critter and targets.

Kris won the egg shoot (150 yard shoot) in Las Cruses a few years ago with a factory .223 Stevens 200 and handloads with a BSA catseye scope.

They will shoot with the right shooter.

Yep, an old post, but own a couple of Stevens 200s. A decent low cost rifle. Bought both of mine when Academy Sports and Outdoors had them on clearance for $179. Told some of my fellow range members I regularly shoot with one day a week about the Academy clearance price.....lol, they bought over 12 of them. Like me, they were bought for the actions to build on, so they didn't stay factory too long.

I sold the .223 I spoke of in this thread to build another in .260 with a criterion barrel. I would give up a few of my rifles to have that .223 back... It shot clovers and was one of my all time favorite rifles.

I found mine to be MOA Egg last year at the PM Egg Shoot but it did have a ER Shaw 222 Rem Barrel, Boyds stock and Sharp Shooters trigger. I have a couple more that are even more accurate in 22-204(re-chambered 223)and 22-250(but getting worn now)but I shoot the 222 better off the sticks.

Last edited:
Back