Longest pissing match iv been in

Widow maker 223

Had a group of coyotes answer last Saturday night a mile away. We moved into 200yds away from them sitting on an irrigation. In front of us 75yds was a woods they were in. I lone howled, the group lit up again, could tell one dog was an older male. I challenged, we went at it for about an hour back and forth. The whole group was challenging me. Threw in some ki-yi's here and there with some distress, they wouldnt budge. Once we gave up they moved off a little farther still kicking crap in my face. Very frustrating

Dont you just love it when they dont do what you want them to do? Was calling an old creek bed the other day with some coon trees in it and had a coyote respond on the other side of some pasture. Tried just about everything my call had to offer for about an hour and gave up right before dark to try coon calling a tree about 100 yards away from me. I could barely see when I got set up but as my call was going with coon pup distress I heard something rustle down the creek aways and caught movement. It was that yote just staring at me about 80 yards from me. I couldn't do anything because my rifle was on the ground behind me and I had taken the buck shot out of my shotgun for some more coon friendly Shells! Definitely a first!

I had one go on for 45 minute that ended in a kill. I thought that was bad. At least you had them howling. I know we all do this to shoot coyotes, but just getting to witness that had to be awesome.

I wanted to yell out Bad Dog! Bad Dog! LOL. I figured since there was a group and an older dog they would want to play.

Normally around my area they are not very vocal on full moon nights but I had em lighting up all over.

When getting into these vocal exchanges I used to try what seemed like the next appropriate luring sound.
Now I often mimic them at a certain point. This seems to irritate them more and they come knockin.

I tried that too! they would go quiet for a bit then one of them would challenge me, I mimicked it, in the middle of my challenge the group would lite up all mad and cut me off. It was like fighting with my wife! I threw it all at em, even some female wimpers with some estrus chirps. Once it gets closer to breeding season hopefully they will want to play.

Frustrating story for an experienced hunter, but I'd be tickled pretty just to get that kind of exchange going as a beginner. At any rate, still exciting to be talking their language. Good story, thanks for sharing.

It is fun talking with them gets the blood pumping.

From the end of Jan- to the end of Feb. is when I use a challenge the most. Hearing a old male howl gives me the go ahead as they are very territorial. Had groups and pairs come charging in close at night. Doesnt always work but when it does hold on. One male a few years ago had a fresh missing eye and a gash on his head from fighting.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250I had one go on for 45 minute that ended in a kill. I thought that was bad. At least you had them howling. I know we all do this to shoot coyotes, but just getting to witness that had to be awesome.

This. I love getting them to talk back and enjoy the conversation.
smile.gif
I tell people all the time "I love being out there hunting them, killing is just an added bonus." A lot of the joy I get from predator hunting comes from the strategy and work it takes to be successful.

Next time you come across this situation again and have a good pissing match going on get quite for 4 or5 minutes then use pup in distress and get ready for action. It works for me.

yesterday afternoon I set up and started with a few howls on the Foxpro (female long howls 1) and a bunch (3-5 ? ) lit up in the timber aboyt 700y away, open field between us. Never could get anyting to come out for a look, at least never spotted anything. It is fun though

Last winter we were on stand and about 20 minutes in, after starting with rabbit distress, went with coyote duet. That got a couple coyotes howling back at us. 41 mins into the stand they came in to pup distress/Ravens - it was pretty exciting to see them finally show up

Had the same thing happen yesterday. The female wouldn't shut up and I used female invitation and never did show herself ( I assume it was a female. Everyone knows how females are!) The male came out and looked for a while and started to come in and disappeared behind a small rise. I was waiting for him and he never did show. I should of shot him the first time. Lesson learned.

Back