Hanging up coyotes

Tylerpresser

Been calling now for the better part of 2 months this year and have been having real troubles getting coyotes past 500 yds I do not use electronic calls only mouth calls other than my mojo super critter that runs the whole time I'm on a stand 20min or so anyone have any tips to get them to bust the last distance

Figure out how to shoot at 500 yds. Or a vocalization. Had five last week in one group. No interest in coming to the call at all. Finally did a challenge howl,scream. At 800 yds , one of the five turned and came back to within 100 yds. Possibly a puppy whine would have also worked.

Been trying everything in my playbook from howls to challenge to coyote fight pup whines strictly jackrabbit on a few stands and some bird noises on my syco tweety I'm pretty good out to 350 after that it dies off

Ive always found a pup distress works on hung up coyotes but alot of time they just dont come any closer. Knowledge of long range shooting with a .243 works wonders on stubborn dogs.

They are getting call shy- they are getting little more stubborn every time i go out. That and this deep snow is wearing them out, plus its tough to get out there with them.

Maybe try some fox sounds. Or maybe it s a different coyotes territory and they don't want to cross it. Could be a combination of things. I had some always out there like a mile plus couldn't hardly see them through my 10 power binos. Watched through my rifle scope as I played pup distress they would stop and look but wouldn't come in would sit there and look but just wouldn't commit sometimes they are content with were they are.

I always like a good spot and stalk.
smile.gif

Ive never tried this but if they hang up 500 yards from the call why not put the call 400 yards behind you...play the wind right and have zero movement on your end and you might have them in your lap.

Lol^ it could work.

I bought a foxpro hellfire that wouldn't work from 75 yards away, sent that junk packing and got their newer cheaper Inferno unit with the new remote, foxpro claims the new remote they should have been using all along will reach to 550 yards. I haven't tested that range but it did work from 125 yards away on the ground, in the weeds and behind a vehicle.

If you know where the coyotes are coming from you could set these new units a couple hundred yards away.

How far off the road are you walking and calling? They know where the roads are, and the farther you get away from the road the better your success should be.

^^^^^ Good Tip... gotta get away from the roads.... at least 400 yds.

If you have wide open country... then let your dog run around... they will come then.

Have you tried the coyote/decoy dog fight sound... Tony Tebbe has it for downloading.

Oops.... I just realized you use hand calls... my bad.

I'd quit with the decoys... it causes hangups more than charges. You don't see the experts on tv or youtube using decoys.

PS... a lot of hang ups are also due to being busted by them while your driving in or setting up.

Last edited:
When I can see them sit down and park it, I like to switch to a squeaker.
It usually gets them moving again. Use is sparingly.

Get a bulb type squeaker.
I like this one: http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/products/ELK-Inc-Yote-Squeaker.html

I also take the squeaker out of my dogs toys that they destroy.

Or learn to lip squeak. I called a bobcat 341 yards away to within 3 steps three weeks ago with just a lip squeak.
Took about 20 minutes for it to close the gap. No current furbearer tag in my pocket so it got a pass. But it was fun!

And stay longer than 20 minutes if you can stand the cold.

Last edited:
Back