Jan Moon

HunterLee

Well no topic on this- anyone hunt?

I worked nights up until last friday. Dad and cousin had a rough go, hunted 3 or 4 nights with 3-5 stands a night and only called in two on the warmest night, but they came in from behind them only to get thier wind.

I called Friday and Saturday night with them but tried a little farther west.

Killed 4 under the moon and I got a double at daybreak.

Slept until about 9pm and hunted until about noon, killed three fox and 3 coyotes.

Two that shouldn't of been missed.

Think the cold and brisk wind we had slowed them down to some degree as well as a few others out calling.

It was a weekend of slow to no reaction from the Coyotes out here in Colorado.

Did nearly 30 stands and only killed 4 Coyotes.

Saw 2 Quads and 1 triple. I had had my two 70+ pound Male Catahoulas with and I am pretty sure they deterred many Coyotes.

Had a quad at around 1,400 yards out, not sure what they saw but they didn't come any closer.

Called in a Quad and they saw the dogs, it became a Mexican standoff, my buddy finally shot 1, crippled another and that was the end of it. They came in to around 200 yards of the call and 125 yards of the dogs.

Called in a triple and managed to knock down 2 of them. Shot the little female 1st and the Big male ran over to her and gave me another shot. He dropped nose to nose with the female.

Shot 1 smaller Female as she help up at about 170 yards.

Pretty dismal weekend for me!!

I will be back out in 2 weeks and hopefully they are closer to breeding and I can bring one of my dogs.

Full Moons suck!!

It was a lot slower than December's full moon. I got a small female last monday and had a group of two sneak in behind me when the snow was coming down pretty good, my first night out this month.

Then I went out with my dad and we got totally skunked, we didn't even hear one.

The next night I was out with my buddy and two minutes into the night of hunting I called a triple right in front of him but they were hidden enough that he didn't see them until they were 70 yards away and hightailing it out of there, the rest of the night we heard or saw nothing.

Full moon me and the same buddy headed west hoping for greener pastures but we didn't do so hot. We each got one. We got busted or were in spots we really couldn't get good shots off several times that night, it was a new area for us and it's tough to figure out what's going on at a new spot in the middle of the night. It was a slow night though, we only saw 4 and got 2, we didn't hear any howling all night long.

For three nights the coyotes were totally shut down. The night after the full moon we finally had them responding to howls but we had no better luck. Our good spots were wore out and we tried hunting some new local stuff but around here most spots are too thick and they end up down wind hiding behind a small hill or three foot tall weeds. We saw a couple but I wasn't comfortable just unloading the AR on a shadow I see running through some weeds.

This moon was the first time I have seen evidence of other coyote hunters around and other guys shooting at night.

Did you drag any back to the Hollywood? I hunted by myself saw 7 + 3 Fox . Shot at 2 coyote got both missed 1 shot at Fox. I only called one set in the dark.

Made 6 stands in the early part of the full moon, before the warm weather, and called in 11. All after dark. 6 were on 1 stand though. Unfortunately found out the scope got knocked off, when I was on that stand and was only able to put 2 down and needing 26 shots to do so. Took a break after that embarrassing stand to get the gun sighted back in and havent been out since.

Back