25-06 new to me questtion

logstove

I have a 25-06 M700 I got from someone along with approx 4 boxes of Sierra bullets and 4 boxes of brass. I have had this for approx 4 years and never shot it. This is one of the case where I bought a rifle without needing it lol.

Since I got it I have not cleaned the barrel and last week I tried to clean the barrel and it was hard to push the jag through the barrel. Maybe I should have cleaned it thoroughly when I got it? The barrel is stainless and no marking on the barrel of make and caliber but the guy sent me a bunch of Sierra bullets and brass. I am pretty sure it is a 25 cal barrel.

Is there some way to check to verify this barrel? I also want to check the twist and with the jag being hard to push through should I order something like JB Bore? Brownells list 3 different JB Bore products and one of the JB Bore products come with Kroil which I think I have.

So what JB Bore product should I use. There are at least 3 different kinds of JB Bore on Brownells.

Short of having a bore scope, have you looked through the bore with a standard bore light?

I have never had a barrel so dirty that I couldn't run a jag through it. I have on the other hand used a patch that was for a larger caliber and that really tightened things up.

There are plenty of good products out there, as far as solvents go, I use Butches for the most part, its just what I like.

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
Punch type of jag or slotted?

Punch type jags are often per caliber in size, thickness of patch is critical.

Last edited:
Umm have you tried to push a bullet thru it? Like when I seat to the lands a bullet always sticks and I gently push thru with rod

I forgot I'm using a oal cartridg can't think of the name of it ,,goes in the breech and you push the bullet out and clamp the shaft

I left solvent in the barrel for a couple days multiple times and I can see it is becoming easier to clean up. I used Butches Bore shine and then Benchrest Copper Solvent. When I first started this process the patches came out clean after a few times. Then leaving the Benchrest in the barrel for a couple days and then it came out with patches blue. So I know the first time did not get all of the copper out. It seems to be cleaning up nicely. I am going to have to find some bases for the 444 Marlin and get a scope on it.

You want to be careful as to what solvent you leave in your barrels for extended lengths of time. Some solvents will eat at the barrel after time if left in there.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogYou want to be careful as to what solvent you leave in your barrels for extended lengths of time. Some solvents will eat at the barrel after time if left in there.

True story. Read the directions, some of them are pretty aggressive.

Back