Ruger predator or model 12fcv

zachsnow55

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new 22-250 and am down to either the predator or 12fcv. Anyone have any opinions on either or any other guns in these price ranges that you think are a better gun?

Hi zachsnow55. Have never had that model ruger,but have a few of the savages. I have to say that out of the box savage rifles shoot well, for the money they are hard to beat.

I had to look up what the Mod 12 FCV was. I have a Ruger Pred and a Mod 12 Savage. Probably lean more towards the Savage. Stocks on the Ruger are pretty much junk IMO. I replaced mine with a Boyd's. The Savage stock will be a little better but probably not by much. Buy the one you like the best and don't worry to much what people think is best for you.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnottikka.

I agree but Tikka wasn't in his two choices.

Originally Posted By: zachsnow55 Anyone have any opinions on either or any other guns in these price ranges that you think are a better gun?

hmmmm

I've got a ruger predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and it shoots great. Love that it comes already tapped for a suppressor or muzzle break and you can adjust the trigger. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnottikka.

I agree but Tikka wasn't in his two choices.

Originally Posted By: zachsnow55 Anyone have any opinions on either or any other guns in these price ranges that you think are a better gun?

hmmmm

Guess I should have re-read the OP. OOps!

I'm not planning on shooting more then 350-400 yards. I'm wondering if the savage is worth the extra $250. I like the fact that the savage has the 26" barrel and 1:12 twist but I'm not sure if that's much of an advantage over the 22" barrel and 1:10 twist. I know I will get more velocity out of the savage but how much?

Last edited:
I will put in my 2 cents....I have never owned the Ruger but I will say all of my new Savages really shoot well and my 12 twist 26" 12 fv 22 250s are very accurate with 53 vmax and nosler 60 bts. They are a bit too heavy and long to carry afield though.

Last edited:
might also look into a t/c venture. well made rifle for the money. i own one in .204 that is super accurate.

probably out shoot any of winnys customs. just wont look as good doing it.
tt2.gif

I'll say I have never owned a Ruger but I have a Savage 12 FCV in 204. For being a factory rifle it shoots exceptionally well, 1/2 to 3/4 MOA consistently. The accutrigger is very nice if it is adjusted to it's lowest setting, I got lucky because it was set low from the factory. I don't see any reason why this model in 22-250 would disappoint.

Alot of the predator model rifles are a 22" barrel. How much velocity am I going to lose between a 26" barrel and a 22" barrel? I like the fact of a longer barrel but it would be nice having the shorter barrel for weight when walking. Am I going to lose much performance with the short barrel?

I have a couple 12 fcv models and that would be my choice hands down. Both shoot excellent and I think feel better built and more solid than the ruger. just my opinion

Back