MagnetoSpeed!

TaterTot

I broke down and purchased a Chrono... I figured if I was going to get serious about trying to shoot varmints and coyotes at further distances, for me anyways, that I would be able to use this to help speed the process of finding good loads and working up drop charts.

AE3A7DCC-D5E6-4D8D-A79C-64BDF33C8824_zpsxorczrm4.jpg

I tried it out on a pellet gun, just to play with it a little bit. Now I can get some real data from my 20 Practical load that I have worked up.

Ooooooooh! Send me a PM the next time you are going to the Emmett range with that thing! I want to see it in action.

I may want to eventually replace my Prochrono with one of those. I dont use my chronographs much anymore but I bet I might if I had one of those cuties.

The V3 is one purchase you won't regret.....with a 2 minute setup time you'll be checking the speed on anything you can get your hands on.

Oooops, I forgot you already hand it on your pellet gun.

Here Kitty Kitty

Will do Russ. I am getting cabin fever with this weather, so I will start working up a few more loads for these 20's.

Mark204, I did have to adjust the sensitivity setting to get it to read on my pellet gun.

D8269B03-C806-4227-AEE7-F946D1A1CE99_zpsztly8fh0.jpg

It will be interesting to see the velocities I am getting out of my varmint rifles!

With the ease of setup and use, not to mention their accuracy and that they are unaffected by weather or sunlight, for those switching from a conventional chronograph to a Magnetospeed what you'll realize is you will use it a lot more because it's so easy to setup and use.

Originally Posted By: TaterTot..did have to adjust the sensitivity setting to get it to read on my pellet gun...
Ran into that on 308 & 300 BLK subsonic rounds.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlOriginally Posted By: TaterTot..did have to adjust the sensitivity setting to get it to read on my pellet gun...
Ran into that on 308 & 300 BLK subsonic rounds.

ive found that adjust the bayo closer to the bore will help more than adjusting the sensitivity.

if you're using non jacketed projo's, you may have to bump the sensitivity a bit, which may explain the airgun issue though.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOoooooooh! Send me a PM the next time you are going to the Emmett range with that thing! I want to see it in action.

I may want to eventually replace my Prochrono with one of those. I dont use my chronographs much anymore but I bet I might if I had one of those cuties.

Me too... then we can make it a party! I considered buying one of these too, but Russ talked me out of it... I need to get serious about reloading before I buy all the toys.

Your post reminded me how much I wanted one of these. Had a bunch of Cabela's points and some gift certificates burning a hole in my pocket, so I took the plunge. Can't wait for it to arrive!!

The trade-off is being able to get velocities and accuracy off the same shots. I'm frustrated when I can't shoot because the weather is not ideal for my chrono to work, but at least on days it does I can take velocity reads in parallel to accuracy shooting. Getting velocity without accuracy (magneto speed) is a major compromise to me.

Originally Posted By: springerThe trade-off is being able to get velocities and accuracy off the same shots. I'm frustrated when I can't shoot because the weather is not ideal for my chrono to work, but at least on days it does I can take velocity reads in parallel to accuracy shooting. Getting velocity without accuracy (magneto speed) is a major compromise to me.

I was actually wondering if there was any sacrifice with accuracy on these considering they attach to the barrel. But I guess that's not really what the tool is intended for.

I've done a lot of reading regards accuracy loss/degradation while it is attached, and have found very few complaints that relate to groups opening up. The common response is that it changes POI but for the most part has little to no effect on group size.

I personally don't care about POI while I'm shooting groups, so if that is the negative with this thing, it won't bother me a bit. I do plan to test it though...

The bayonet weighs next to nothing and any change will be more in the barrel harmonics and if anything, will assist in tightening groups and I've noticed little or no point of impact change when switching between factory loads and my best test loads..

I should add that most of my rifles have heavier contour barrels, as opposed to the light weight 'sporter' contours...The real plus is not having to measure distance and alignment as needed on the more conventional chronos, especially at a busy range or under windy conditions with the average tripod set up....

Originally Posted By: springerThe trade-off is being able to get velocities and accuracy off the same shots. ... Getting velocity without accuracy (magneto speed) is a major compromise to me.

Same here. The MS has definite advantages, but also some definite disadvantages. I sold my old Chrony when I bought the MS, but have several times since wished I'd have kept the old one, so I'd have the choice of which to use. I would also prefer my old Chrony if I'm going to be clocking more than one rifle and the one time I used the MS on four rifles I was really missing the old Chrony. For just a quick and accurate MV reading the Magnetospeed is pretty neat though.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle..any change will be more in the barrel harmonics and if anything, will assist in tightening groups...

OT, no offense, but the above just doesn't even make sense. Harmonics and accuracy are conjoined twins. Tuning a load is tuning it to the harmonics of the barrel. Change harmonics and the results can't be predicted to be better or worse or not noticeable. Only that they'll be different. And if being really critical about precision accuracy and fine tuning of a load, having a muzzle device attached that does effect harmonics but that won't be there when it counts is just not the way to do it.

I've not used my Magnetospeed that much, but have used it on a couple super accurate rifles and very definitely saw a change in group size to go along with a change in POI. I was less surprised to see that, then the ones that didn't show a difference, frankly. Since I had already tuned those loads, it's not surprising the difference was for the worse. But it could be for the better, which would tell you that you'd done a poor job with original load tuning.

Difference was only about .100 @ 100 yards. Might not even be noticeable on a lot of factory rifles though.

- DAA

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Anything that changes barrel harmonics has to have some sort of impact, even if it's minuscule.

Just curious, what model did you buy and what did you end up paying? I noticed you said you got it on sale. Thanks!

I've been reading as much as I can on the various chrono's on the market and I can't seem to decide. The labradar seems like the best of all the options but for a pretty hefty price, considering the amount of use it would get from me.

My Chrony F1 keeps begging me to just put it out of its misery, but until I can find a replacement I can't bring myself to do it, but soon F1 very soon it will happen! And what a glorious day that will be !

I like the idea of the Caldwell with the screens upside down, and I wish I knew someone that has one of these that can give an account of its reliability in various outdoor lighting conditions.

That's what draws me to the Magneto Speed, but then I like to shoot for groups and speeds at the same time so I don't think that is the way to go.

Super Chrono uses acoustics, so lighting is a non-issue, but all I've read about this one is how accuracy is all over the board depending on setup?

Pro Chrono Digital seems to get a lot of love and for the price is right there with my F1, so I worry about how good can it be at that price? Very Cheap, but Made in the USA !

Decisions, Decisions !

The low speed limit on the Labrader is a 100% deal killer for me. Obviously not an issue for many, but it renders the unit virtually useless for my purposes. Pretty much everything I shoot with any regularity is over the limit for it. Seems crazy that such a spendy chrono can't even clock a 4000 fps load.

- DAA

Back