Question about scanning with thermal vs light

vahunter22

Hey guys. I have a question regarding scanning with a handheld thermal like the pulsar 19a vs a low intensity headlamp like the night eyes. I know it seems obvious that the thermal is the best solution to get light shy yotes to commit but I wonder how great a chance they will instead see your movement scanning the field with the thermal back and forth and choose not to commit just the same. If you instead are hid behind the light glow of a headlamp to allow some scanning movement along with getting your gun on target would that not benefit more in closing the deal. I would be using a night vision scope to shoot with so a very low intensity scan light would be all that is ever shined into the field. Do you think a light shy yote would feel that uncomfortable with even such a low intensity light? I was thinking it would be about like a full moon to them if anything. I'm thinking the benefit of being camouflaged by the scan light though may outweigh the no light at all. What do you guys think? Any first hand experiences?

The only time I have been spotted is when coyotes come in from behind, & are real close 40 yards or less. That has happened twice. Both times they would have seen me no matter what I was using. I would never trade my thermal for lights. You can see them a lot farther with thermal than you can with a light.

Scanning with low intensity light for eyes of necessity depends upon the animal looking directly at you which draws attention to your position either with an e-caller placed close or hand calls.

With thermal the animal is just as visible whether he looks at you or not. Plus, even if obscured partially by brush or limbs there is still a good chance that you will see the animal as it moves with thermal. Additionally if using an e-call, you can place it away from you whatever number of yards you desire and take their attention off your location. If used in conjunction with hand calls you can shift an approaching animals attention away from you to the e-call location.

My opinion only, but experienced hunters with lights can do pretty well scanning because they are only trying to light eyes and so keep the intensity low. Beginners, especially with today's powerful lights keep wanting to see more and tend to keep increasing the intensity.

Last edited:
Vahunter22, my buddy and I hunt VA & NC often. We used to use lights for scanning....after we switched to thermal and NV our results have gone through the roof. We see them slinking in, hiding behind brush, trying to cirle, etc. When using lights they HAVE to look directly at you to catch eyes. Believe me...these Eastern coyotes are very light sensitive.
So, to answer your question. No. I do not think having the light as cammo would be worth the trade off. I would much rather see him quicker, before he even looks my way. You can do this with thermal.

Originally Posted By: Tyrod No. I do not think having the light as cammo would be worth the trade off. I would much rather see him quicker, before he even looks my way. You can do this with thermal.

I would have to agree, I've only been out about 4 nights with my HD19a but on three of those nights I've had fox come into shotgun range while I was scanning and looking the other way, they did bolt and leave as soon as I tried to make the switch to the gun. I'm not sure who was more surprised, the fox or me.

First off I don't own any Thermal. Expensive! But my calling partner does. Monocular, scope everything. It paid off on this bobcat. We were hunting extremely thick young cutover, really thick at the edge of dark (dusk) He watched this cat sneaking in for thirty to forty yards in behind all kinds of heavy cover that was impenetrable by a rifle before it finally hit a clearing where he could shoot it. No way we could have scanned with lights in all the thick stuff plus we would never have seen anything but thick stuff. Thermal showed a big neon ball sneaking along behind in and around all that stuff.

vahunter22, I initially just read your post and responded. Now, I've gone back and read the other guys comments as well. They all gave you a whole bunch of dead-on, spot-on, accurate advice. Even their comments not in regards to thermal, but in regards to shining with a red light. Beginners do go to bright when shining, just a fact of the game.

I guess I am gonna have to break down and pay the price eventually for thermal myself.

Thanks guys! Good stuff. I guess the key will be just putting the call away from me far so the critters don't pick up on any scanning movement.

Back