Long Range Day Rig - Tikka T3X Chassis Build - Range Report

Gman757

It seems like I am seeing hogs out in the day more lately and that was true even during the heat last summer so I finally got motivated and put a bolt rig together with a day scope.

I tried a Savage BA10 Stealth and did not care for it so I built my own chassis rig. This is a Tikka T3X CTR 6.5 Creedmoor mounted in a LSS-XL chassis from MDT. I mounted a Burris Eliminator III 4-16x50 on it and I'm gonna see if it works as advertised. If not it will get a Nighforce SHV or a Leupold VX6 CDS.

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-compact-tactical-rifle

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/elimi...scope-4-16x50mm

https://mdttac.com

8tuSfh8.jpg

LRk2atA.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mic214That is an awesome setup!
Thanks Mic.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51We'll need a thorough range report on the Rifle and especially the Scope.

I won't get anything done until I get a bore guide in for cleaning. I have 10 different factory loads to try once I get to the range so hopefully I will find something that this barrel likes.

Crow.......I get the feeling you have a keen interest in the Burris Eliminator Scope. I have shot with it on another rifle but only at 100 yards so I did not get to test the ballistics calculation feature. At this point all I can say is the glass is not great but adequate for my intended use as long as it does everything else it supposed to do. I really like the reticle and the range finder seems to work just fine so far.

The software is set up to use your bullet BC and the drop in inches at 750 yards. Thats what you plug into the scope for the ammo you are using and it makes the calculations based on that data. Once that is set it crunches the numbers for whatever range you get with the range finder and then the reticle will display a tiny LED down the reticle post that is the correct holdover.

It also displays a 10 knot wind "factor" based on your bullet BC too. You use that to calculate your crosswind correction along with the actual wind speed.

I have a field that I can shoot to 750 yards in so I am going to dial it in using the actual bullet drop instead of running the numbers in a ballistics software program. Then I will know it if really works as advertised when I set up random targets to see what it will do.

You can dial it in at 400 yds or 500 yds by changing the 750 yard drop number to bring it up or down as needed but I think it will be fun to shoot it out to 750.

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle,, I hope that it serves you well. I am anxious for the range reports as well. Now just for conversation purpose here, I shoot a 260 and have killed many hogs with the Nosler 140 grain Partition. I like the caliber and the combo you have, it should be top rate. What works for me might not work for you. I wait to see. Good Luck and good shooting.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerBeautiful rifle,, I hope that it serves you well. I am anxious for the range reports as well. Now just for conversation purpose here, I shoot a 260 and have killed many hogs with the Nosler 140 grain Partition. I like the caliber and the combo you have, it should be top rate. What works for me might not work for you. I wait to see. Good Luck and good shooting.

Thanks Cherokeee. I actually had a 260 ordered but cancelled and went to the 6.5 Creedmoor. I am giving up some speed but when I started checking online I found a better selection of factory ammo for the Creedmoor. I have reloading equipment I bought as a backup years ago but I am trying to avoid the expense and trouble of reloading for a single rifle and the .260 seems to be best suited for guys that reload.

Gman757 I could not agree with you more on the caliber selection. The reason was spot on, and I fully understand. I have the 260 and it was purchased back in 1996 I think it was,, Anyway It was when Remington very first came out with the 260 and offered ONLY the Model 7 platform. Boy O Boy have we come a long ways since then.
Nearly all my shots are 100yds or under since the area I hunt is full of Mesquite trees. So we would not be comparing apples to apples here.
Yes I have to reload, and my development was a very long and drawn out process. 1-9 twist did not help either.
Since my experience has only exposed me to the target bullets,, I do not know what is offered in the way of Hunting bullets for the Creedmoor.
Sounds like you did your homework and I agree with your selection, now I just want to see some DRT targets.

Originally Posted By: crowkiller51We'll need a thorough range report on the Rifle and especially the Scope.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetracker Sounds like you did your homework and I agree with your selection, now I just want to see some DRT targets.

Ok guys. Finally made it to the range. Spent the first day with a little shoot and clean break in and then starting testing ammo in 5 shot groups. It was pretty warm out so I used a bore cooling fan and cooled 1 or 2 minutes between rounds for 5 shots then cooled 5 minutes before the next group.

I noticed at the end of day one the groups started to come together better at about the 75 round mark. I stopped there and called it a day as I was running out of daylight. I did manage to eliminate some ammo right rather quickly. The barrel seems to not like any of the Hornady Superformance stuff or the lighter 120 grain bullets.

Day two I concentrated on the 140 grain ammo and the rifle started to shoot better. My goal was to find a factory load that would group tight enough at 100 yards so that I could cover all 5 shots with a quarter. I hardly ever go to the range except for something like this or to sight in or check one of my thermal scopes so with my limited shooting that's about as good as it gets for me. This is the only bolt rifle I own and the only rifle I have with day optics on it other than a .22 upper.

Crow....haven't has to chance to check the ranging ability of the scope yet but as soon as I decide which ammo to use that will be next.

All groups were 5 shots at 100 yards and I shot off of a bipod with a couple of bags under the butt stock. I was shooting in a clay pit and I was holding the plastic table with my legs while shooting. Not a great setup but good enough. My biggest concern was the Quick Detach Suppressor on the end of the barrel as I wasn't sure how much negative impact this would have on accuracy.

HReKyuZ.jpg
hyrLxlS.jpg
cY16zRn.jpg
PgKd0rU.jpg
01rZ5W1.jpg

3cCreYj.jpg
cqBqTTU.jpg

kmWZTSo.jpg
kfhiggY.jpg

Originally Posted By: larrybGman...do you use supersonic or sub sonic with your suppresor

Larry......The only time I use subsonic is with my 300 BLK for coyotes or hogs in very close to a landowners residence at night at their request. I limit my range to 75 yards.

Tikka put that rifle in an aluminum chassis this year. It debuted at the 2017 Shot Show, you can see it on Accurate Shooter. MSRP was around $1800.

Back