Another season starts

Originally Posted By: titch--I havent been out much this year but the ones I got I havent seen anything bad so far. Sure hope any fur you harvest from here on, stays that way.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameSnowshoes is goin at'em. Miss the old predatorhuntcanada contest, got me out of bed more.

I too miss the old PHC coyote contest!
I know it got me out more
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameSnowshoes is goin at'em. Miss the old predatorhuntcanada contest, got me out of bed more.

The glory days!!!

Originally Posted By: YotecallrSnowshoes, what are you shooting this year ? /bullet etc. Rack 'em up this year.
Shooting a Cooper Classic model 51, chambered in 223 Rem. and topped with a Ziess 5-25 X 50mm scope.
Nosler brass loaded with VV N133 powder, CCI 450 primers and Berger 52 gr. bullets.
This will be my 3rd season using this combo.

Originally Posted By: todbartellOriginally Posted By: Displayed NameSnowshoes is goin at'em. Miss the old predatorhuntcanada contest, got me out of bed more.

The glory days!!!

That they were
thumbup1.gif
A lot of coyotes hit the turf!

Last edited:
Those misses really get me revved up. Atleast you got back in er and put some fur on the ground to end on a happy note.

Looks like Im going to try my luck for tomorrow. By myself as a couple of friends can make it, again.

My son came down coyote hunting this morning and we set up roughly 200 yards apart. After some squeaks from his call he brought in the first coyote of the morning. Shoots it, and the crack of the rifle kicks two coyotes my way. Barked, then howled to stop the lead coyote, which I drop at 87 yards. The other (scruffy) coyote ran up onto a snow bank and I drop it at 128 yards.
Ten minutes pass and I see a coyote making its way across the field towards my partners location. A shot and a whomp confirms another dog down. Seen one more but it never came into range for either of us.
When I took the picture, I could see my son in the background (at the edge of the trees)
Four coyotes down but I have no pictures of his two.
click image upload

photo hosting sites

Great hunting !What would you say is the the main diet of most of the coyotes in your area (don't tell me 52 Gr Bergers )? It sure does look to be ideal habitat. What species of rabbits Do you have ? Great that you and your son like the same thing and can go together .

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleGreat hunting !What would you say is the the main diet of most of the coyotes in your area (don't tell me 52 Gr Bergers )? It sure does look to be ideal habitat. What species of rabbits Do you have ? Great that you and your son like the same thing and can go together .
The coyotes main diet would be mice, I'm sure they catch a few rabbits too but mice would be number one. Snowshoe hares and Jackrabbits are in the region but not in high numbers
( especially Jack's)
The time spent hunting with my son has created some of my fondest memories in the field and as an added bonus my grandson has a real passion for hunting also!

Great time spent with the son and soon the grandson too. You will be the teacher and the grandson the shooter. The smiles will be great and the storys even better. Congrats

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat time spent with the son and soon the grandson too. You will be the teacher and the grandson the shooter. The smiles will be great and the storys even better. Congrats

looking forward to when "three generations" will be out calling coyotes
thumbup.gif

Got a call a couple days ago from a lady who was concerned that the coyotes were getting a little to brazen around the farmyard.
She was concerned about her 3 cats and small dog being a snack for a pair of coyotes that she repeatedly kept seeing near her yard.
Its been foggy for the past two days but I figured to try helping this lady out this morning.
Couldn't see much past 250 yards but that was good enough. Started off with howls before switching to jackrabbit distress. That did the trick as I watched two coyotes make their way across the field. They both stopped at roughly 100 yards and I took the first one to turn broadside. (Big male)
The other coyote used the lay of the land to make its escape.
imgurl

Another day of horror frost and fog and I wouldn't be going into the office due to some afternoon appointments in the city.
One quick stand in the morning netted a single that came looking for rabbit breakfast.
I let this one come to 50 yards before feeding it a 52gr. Berger.
Seen 5 coyotes on the drive home but no time to pursue them.
post images

Back