Hearing protection act

I've contacted my Rep, even though I know he supports this. Reminded him that this is a results based world. No credit given for good intentions.

my reps are useless twits.

every time i send them a "support a pro gun" email, i get a response that basically says "get f*&@*#$"

ok so i'm paraphrasing a bit... but its often to the tune of

"thank you for contacting me about the issue of gun control, your input is important to me. as you know i support banning everything from cap guns, squirt guns, nerf guns and even rubber band guns"

Originally Posted By: PaccarSo good chance it will pass? If so how soon could we buy over the counter?

Shortly after the 45th POTUS signs it. As to the exact date, no one obviouly can say for sure but don't be surprised if this is done within the first year if not much sooner.

Talked with the LGS manager about it yesterday; his take was yeah, it may pass fairly soon, but what is gonna take to implement? He told me until he is completely brought up to speed on everything involved in any new laws and how they are implemented and affect the transfer of suppressors he will be selling them as the law reads now. He is figuring if it passes it could be mid '18 before it is an in-and-out purchase. Personally, I don't think that it can happen soon enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: obaroTalked with the LGS manager about it yesterday; his take was yeah, it may pass fairly soon, but what is gonna take to implement? He told me until he is completely brought up to speed on everything involved in any new laws and how they are implemented and affect the transfer of suppressors he will be selling them as the law reads now. He is figuring if it passes it could be mid '18 before it is an in-and-out purchase. Personally, I don't think that it can happen soon enough.

the new law, as i understand it - pass a NICS check just like you would for a firearm sale and then pay at the counter.

i dont see whats so complicated about implementing that.

sounds like your dude is gonna miss out on a lot of those initial first rush sales if you ask me
smile.gif

on the downside, i can see the list of gunsmiths who do threading having a backup for the first few months at the least.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: obaroTalked with the LGS manager about it yesterday; his take was yeah, it may pass fairly soon, but what is gonna take to implement? He told me until he is completely brought up to speed on everything involved in any new laws and how they are implemented and affect the transfer of suppressors he will be selling them as the law reads now. He is figuring if it passes it could be mid '18 before it is an in-and-out purchase. Personally, I don't think that it can happen soon enough.

the new law, as i understand it - pass a NICS check just like you would for a firearm sale and then pay at the counter.

i dont see whats so complicated about implementing that.

sounds like your dude is gonna miss out on a lot of those initial first rush sales if you ask me
smile.gif

on the downside, i can see the list of gunsmiths who do threading having a backup for the first few months at the least.

That's why it's nice to have your own lathe.

Originally Posted By: obaroTalked with the LGS manager about it yesterday; his take was yeah, it may pass fairly soon, but what is gonna take to implement? He told me until he is completely brought up to speed on everything involved in any new laws and how they are implemented and affect the transfer of suppressors he will be selling them as the law reads now. He is figuring if it passes it could be mid '18 before it is an in-and-out purchase. Personally, I don't think that it can happen soon enough.

I bet he wouldn't be saying the same thing if they were proposing a ban. I doubt he would be selling them as-is until mid '18 if it were made illegal.

Point being, he's either trying to be realistic and not get your hopes about it happening at all, or just trying to make sale now instead of having you wait and see if it does pass

Last edited:
I've been wanting to make one forever, the hoops have kept me from starting. And knowing i can't fix things that break and accidentally commit a felony... It would be nice to have a nice one, but i really enjoy going diy. I have a couple cheap guns that are just waiting for me to start working.

Quote:Hill Republicans try to ease purchase of gun 'silencers,' as NRA-backed Trump arrives

Congressional Republicans are trying to change federal guns regulations to make buying a silencer, or suppressor, easier. But critics don’t agree with the argument that the proposed legislation is a safety measure to prevent hearing injuries.

The Hearing Protection Act, introduced earlier this week in the GOP-controlled House and Senate, if passed, would still require a background check to buy a silencer, which muffles or suppresses more than silences the sound of a shot.

However, buyers would no longer have to pay a $200 fee or wait for months after filing extensive paperwork with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“I’ve been shooting since I was a young child -- beginning with plinking with a .22 rifle and dove hunting with my Dad. My hearing has been damaged because of gun noise,” South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan said Monday after introducing the bill in the House with Texas Rep. John Carter, a fellow Republican.

“Had I had access to a suppressor, it may have protected me, as well as millions of other Americans, from this sort of hearing loss. This is a health issue,” Duncan continued.

The National Rifle Association’s lobbying arm supports the measures, saying suppressors are “harmless and very rarely used in crime” and that the joint bill would end the “cumbersome and lengthy application process.”

A similar measure failed in 2015. But supporters are optimistic this time with Republican Donald Trump set Friday to officially become president.

They point to the NRA having endorsed Trump and Trump’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., a hunter, recently appearing in a promotional video for Utah-based SilencerCo.

“I believe in American manufacturing. I love your product,” Trump says in the video, in which he also argues that European countries freely allow the accessory. “It’s a safety issue.”

The GOP lawmakers say the bill aims to “cut through the red tape” of owning a suppressor and, if passed, would remove the accessory from the scope of the National Firearms Act. They also say it would replace the “outdated” federal application process with the “instantaneous” National Instant Criminal Background Check.

The bill calls for a refund of the $200 transfer “tax” for applicants who purchased a suppressor after Oct. 22, 2015, the original date of introduction.

Critics point to a February 2013 situation in which fired Los Angles police officer Christopher Dorner killed four people in a series of attacks over 10 days that targeted law enforcement officials. They argue the fatal attacks might have been stopped earlier had Dorner not been using silencers.

“There’s no evidence of a public health issue associated with hearing loss from gunfire,” Kristin Brown, of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, told The Los Angeles Times. “There is evidence of a public health crisis from gun violence, and we think that’s where legislative efforts should be directed.”

The bill is being introduced in the Senate by Idaho Sen. Mike Crapo, and its co-sponsors include fellow GOP Sens. Rand Paul, Kentucky, and Jerry Moran, Kansas.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/...mp-arrives.html

I'd say there's a public health crisis from the policies of liberals like Ms. Brown. The good news is the adults are taking over, besides, it's for the kids and since when has a liberal ever been against anything for the kids:). Making America Quiet Again!

I saw on another forum, someone said SBR's, SBS's and AOW's are also on the list. I have not seen that any where. Has any one else seen this, or is it just a pipe dream?
Thanks
Steve
RTLW

Originally Posted By: Rangerwalker71I saw on another forum, someone said SBR's, SBS's and AOW's are also on the list. I have not seen that any where. Has any one else seen this, or is it just a pipe dream?
Thanks
Steve
RTLW

im gonna have to go with the pipe dream thing.

i dont recall reading at any reputable outlets saying anything like this is in the HPA.

it may well be on the TO-DO list of legislative action, or at least on the Wish-List anyway, but i think that part would be well separated from the HPA as it would make the bill several orders of magnitude harder to push through.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: Rangerwalker71I saw on another forum, someone said SBR's, SBS's and AOW's are also on the list. I have not seen that any where. Has any one else seen this, or is it just a pipe dream?
Thanks
Steve
RTLW

im gonna have to go with the pipe dream thing.

i dont recall reading at any reputable outlets saying anything like this is in the HPA.

it may well be on the TO-DO list of legislative action, or at least on the Wish-List anyway, but i think that part would be well separated from the HPA as it would make the bill several orders of magnitude harder to push through.

100% with you. Just farming it out there. Would be great though.

I saw a news report on this, and wow the libtards were loosing their minds over it.

"Criminals would now be able to commit mass murder via a shooting without anyone hearing a thing"

I thought to myself, is this happening at a blind convention? You could stand on the corner in NY, and scream for help and no one would even stop. So what's the difference. Especially since most are wondering around with ear buds buried into their brains.

Their dramatics were just that and not even close to reality. The sad thing is that i couldn't even count the number of pro supporters repetitive comments on "it doesn't make it silent"

Back