What do you do for work?

Currently a welder in a small fab shop. Tried of repairing farm equipment so I'm looking to get back to construction in the spring. Or start something else entirely, haven't really decided yet but I'm bored with welding.

It surprised me how many people are retired, good for all of you!

I have never met any one from this website in person, but I guess I envisioned most people were middle aged, but I am surprised how many are retired.

I have about 40 years until I can retire (if I can ever retire with the way things are going). I'm 26 and have been working since I was 15.

I am a welder in the oilfield usually. Since the price of oil dropped though, I have concentrated most of my time here on the ranch. If not for the cows, I would have had to go and get a real job. In the fall I guide antelope hunters as well as hosting wounded warrior hunts for SOWW. In my free time I am the president for the, Wyoming Federation of Houndsmen. Between the cows and hounds, I can usually find enough to keep me hooked up.

Tex Adams

For 28 years I was a welder,fabricator,part time engineer, plumber, electrician, machine installer, fork truck driver and what ever else Schlumberger could come up with for me to do. In other words, a maintenance mechanic. Worked there 28 years till they closed down plant and moved it to Kentucky. I was old enough to retire, so I did. Now, I do what ever I want!!

Other than shooting/hunting/running, my passion is cancer research. Molecular biologist with an MBA. Currently in charge of the group identifying and evaluating technologies and programs outside our Fortune 500 company which we may wish to access via license/acquisition/collaboration. Which means a heavy travel schedule really cuts into family/hobby time.

Originally Posted By: Grumpy BikerPrison Guard for the past 20+ years .

One job I have always wanted to hear stories of, but would never want to do the job myself! However I'm only 5'7 and weight about 170lbs so I would get my [beeep] handed to me lol.

NProell82,,,,Quote:One job I have always wanted to hear stories of, but would never want to do the job myself! However I'm only 5'7 and weight about 170lbs so I would get my [beeep] handed to me lol.,,,Momma Turtle is 5-4 and 125...She was a Correctional Officer in an all men's facility in MO for several years and the inmates all referred to her as Miss Bxxxh...But never attempted to lay a hand on her after she took a couple of them down hard....You underestimate yourself, or your capabilities...Most of the male fellow officers prefered working with her on touchy situations,,,,It's all about attitude and heart....

Originally Posted By: NProell82Originally Posted By: Grumpy BikerPrison Guard for the past 20+ years .

One job I have always wanted to hear stories of, but would never want to do the job myself! However I'm only 5'7 and weight about 170lbs so I would get my [beeep] handed to me lol. Not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!

Not sure at the moment, between jobs. Travel required in my previous job beekeeping wasn't working out with a 5 year old and an 80 year old for the wife to chase around and look after on top of working. Last 12 years in the bee business, 14 years managing a rural water system in central ND prior to that, carpenter, mechanic, equipment operator before that.

Not sure what I want to be when I grow up!

Last edited:
Maintenance in a plastic bottle manufacturing facility.... go'n on 31 years,, if I can't fix it, throw it away. lol

Production Worker in a Private Packaging/Label Company.Ran several machines over the years,printed boxes for over 18 years,now I drive a Tow Motor and take care of a Warehouse rotating stock organizing and cleaning/maintenance etc...!

I've also did some Life Guard and Security work in my younger years,was a Dish Washer,sold Firewood and Mulch in St. Louis & Chicago Area...worked at the M & M Factory but was fired for throwing out all the W's?

Been working since I was a Young Kid mowing Grass,loading Wood Trucks for the local Guys in my home Town,Bailing Hay and now my Passion is Deer and Coyote Hunting and working on My old Pontiac GTO's,LeMans and Tempest with a Firebird or 2 thrown in for fun!

Retired Deputy Sheriff after 33 years with the same department. I've worked the past four years as the department Civil Division Commander, and weapons armorer. Part time corn and soybean farmer during my LEO career. Sold out in 2003. Four years and two weeks until full retirement.

Out of high school i worked at a diabetes medical supply place in shipping.

Then off to the big world, Field Engineering Servies for ABB, traveling all across the USA installing Power Transformers for several years.
Could have made more money off shore and been home more but it was fun.

Next up was Medical supply place delivering for Hospice patients.

Then off to Motion Industries for inside sales.

Now im not exactly sure what i would call my position now. But i do ordering and pricing on products we manufacture for ABB. Before that i was programming for the laser and water jet. Before that i was running the waterjet.

Semi retired from 33 years as maintenance manager in a corrugated paper plant. Now I have a property management gig that is working out really well and do some project management on the side.

Back