First successful set: three called in and two shot

Filthyoter

Friday night was picture perfect weather. Zero wind, full moon, and around 20 degrees. Snow had a layer of ice however that sounded like breaking glass when walking. Thought it was over before it started because of this but went for it anyways. Went straight into female long howls and immediately had a pack around 300 yards respond. I went silent hoping they would come in but nothing showed. 6 minutes later went into nutty hatch on the fox pro and a min in saw them rushing in. I got on the first coyote and went to pull the trigger and "click". Round failed and I signaled my brother to take the shot. Four shots later on the spinning dog he dropped for good. 22 mag is a bit under kill on yotes. I then went into pup distress and we got one more running in a minute later. 2 dropped in a matter of 10 minutes. I am content for my first successful coyote hunt in Michigan.

Below is the link to see the video of the first coyote shot. The scope is watching the other shooter take care of business.

I am guessing you referring to the 22. Mag lol? Just recently in Michigan did they pass centerfire use at night. Before it was rimfire only or shotgun with no slugs or buckshot. My brother with the 22 mag was just the back up and I was suppose to be the main shooter with the 223 AR. I learned a hard lesson about loading a shell and trying to load it without ratcheting it hard.... yeah gotta let it slam load. Whoops!

I was referring to your "whoops" when it didn't go bang. I have done the same easing the bolt shut trying to reduce noise. No more of that lol.

We have the rimfire rule in SC except for a few months, but you have to be 10' off the ground for regular centerfire. Sub-sonic can shoot off the ground for 4 months of the year.

Last edited:
That's funny. We just got granted year round center fire use. Anything under .270 diameter. But we CANNOT hunt from tree stands in the dark. I still do not understand
How shooting down is more dangerous than horizontally. But o well!

Nice footage. We were rimfire only at night here for many years. They've now passed 22 centerfire but I rarely hunt at night. It looks like the dog was going down from the little gun, he was in a death spin. I once shot one broadside through the lungs with the 22 mag that went 300 yards. It killed him but he covered some ground. Take care and thanks for the vid.

Back