.22 nosler

bc83

Seen where nosler came out with this round just for the AR platform. Anyone know anything about this round. what's the parent case looks like a 6.8 spc case to me.

30 Remington/HAGAR for a base. Longer than the 6.8. The rebated rim lets guys just swap barrels but the length will preclude using really heavy 22's unless you cut the front of the magazine out. The 223 head size lets you just buy a barrel and magazines but the bolt thrust will remain the same as in the 6.8 case pressure wise. It won't do much that a standard 22X6.8 won't do without dealing with one source brass and dies. Great concept but that length will just kill it IMHO.

Greg

It looks like it's meant to be a light bullet rocket, getting as close to a 22-250 as you can in the ar-15. Should be interesting.

Originally Posted By: MPFDI think it will sell. Not all people wanna mess with wildcats. Factory ammo is huge!

Philosophy yes. I wonder if they are getting it through SAMMI. I've never heard if they did the 27 and 28. Without that I think there will less chance of large scale acceptance. I don't look for any big company to jump in to do an AR. The 204 doesn't get much love yet it is huge in the bolt world.

Greg

They are saying two factory load options to start a 55 Grain at 3350 and a 77 grain at 2950. Looks very interesting to me running 73 grain ELD's would be sweet from point blank to 900 yards plus.

Originally Posted By: kyyotestalkerThey are saying two factory load options to start a 55 Grain at 3350 and a 77 grain at 2950. Looks very interesting to me running 73 grain ELD's would be sweet from point blank to 900 yards plus.

Only 3350 out of that much case? I wouldn't be interested in that, it should be in the 3550, 3600 range I would think.

I'm getting up to 3850 and shooting at 3750 with a 50 and not even trying hard to do 3000 with a 77 in my 22X6.8. I suspect they are worrying about that rim.

Greg

I got all excited when I first saw this. then disappointment set in. I have been waiting for someone to finally come out with something that offers something really significant over the 223 case. IMO the 6.8 variants don't do it. case compacity needs to be around that of the BR case, then we would really be talking. the problem is nearly all 223 loadings are on the anemic side as it is. my full house 8208 loads look like they are within about 100 fps of the 22 nosler. 100 fps is nothing going to be enough for me to give up el cheapo brass that I don't care much about. and its not going to make me give up on the 223. I need more. the 22x6.8 would only give me half what I am wanting.

oh well at least someone is thinking about this hopefully we will see more and hopefully the case has more potential. the rebated cases are an interesting angle. I have long wanted someone to make a full lenght 284 win case. magnum speeds with a standard bolt face and it should clean up factory chambers if people wanted to step up to it.

After checking out their promo I see those numbers are with an 18" barrel. They were getting 3300 in pretty cold weather. Needs 4 to 6" more barrel imo. Midway has barrels and uppers cheap. Still seems underpowered though for it's size.

Originally Posted By: MerditMaybe you'd be on board with the 22 Hellcat, Steve?

I just looked at that YES I would be interested in something that does just that. a guy on here did a 257 bobcat a couple years ago and I thought it would really be cool in 22 or 6mm sizes. the problem is alot of people say the AR 15 and the barrel extension gets too thin trying to run a .473 case. for simpliciy and no cutting I think something on the BR case makes more sense. I also like to have a large primer instead of the small primer x47 case. the small primer offers me nothing in fact I worry about setting off all that powder in really cold temps with a dinky primer.

I think I'll have to give this one a try, was thinking about getting into the 224 Ar or whatever you call the grendel necked down to 224, but for less that 200 bucks for a barrel a 6.8 mag and some ammo I'm in. If I like and want more speed from the AR I'll sell it and try out the grendel wildcat

Midway has 18" Fluted SS 22Nosler barrels for only $105 plus $10 off a $100 order right now.... so that $, a new gas tube, 6.8 mag and possibly a new bolt is all it would take to change calibers. Might be cheap enough to experiment with...

Back