RCBS Charge Master users

Plant...I don't know what a UPS is. I checked it with 2 diff power sources at work, same crap going on.

Redleg84, They only have a year warranty, So I believe it's just trash now.
thumbdown.gif

a UPS is an uninterruptable power supply.

essentially a self charging battery pack with a built in inverter, that also acts as a upscale surge protector and voltage output regulator.

81Ap6jVpkTL._SL1500_.jpg

they generally dont have enough juice but to run your comp through a power outage of more than a few mins, but if you're in an area where the power blinks, or you have an automatic backup generator, it'll keep you running long enough to either shut down safely, or hold you till the genny kicks in type of thing.

its great protection for electronics. i wish they would have been more common when i used to live up in mid michigan years ago - i used to fry my modem at least once a year due to a power surge, and cook video cards the same way. we used to put our comps on power strips and have to turn the strip off once we powered down to have any hope of protecting them.

Oh, one of those.... Got a few at work,but none of my own.

RCBS said, if the trouble shooting did not work and it's out of warranty , trash can time.
cry.gif

That sucks. Just curious what did they have you try to get rid of internal static? If mine craps out the next time I use it I'll still buy another electronic scale. May be a different brand just because even though they are probably all made in the same factory in china. I just find an electronic scale much faster and handier.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOh, one of those.... Got a few at work,but none of my own.

RCBS said, if the trouble shooting did not work and it's out of warranty , trash can time.
cry.gif

That does suck. I feel like I was just reading on this forum somewhere else - it might even have been this thread - where a Chargemaster was out of warranty, but they worked with the customer to give him a considerably good deal on the repair. Maybe I'm dreaming though...

Originally Posted By: MatlockOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOh, one of those.... Got a few at work,but none of my own.

cry.gif

That does suck. I feel like I was just reading on this forum somewhere else - it might even have been this thread - where a Chargemaster was out of warranty, but they worked with the customer to give him a considerably good deal on the repair. Maybe I'm dreaming though...

I've read similar. I have also read of RCBS honoring their warranty outside of the window. 'Course, this is all just interweb readings, so... It is worth a call, the worst they can say to you is "No."

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I have also read of RCBS honoring their warranty outside of the window. 'Course, this is all just interweb readings, so... It is worth a call, the worst they can say to you is "No."

it sounds like he talked to them and they did say "no". or maybe i misunderstand.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeRCBS said, if the trouble shooting did not work and it's out of warranty , trash can time.
cry.gif

Me... "Alicia, I took it to work and tried a couple outlets there, same problems. Since it is out of warranty and probably something that does not get fixed, I'm guessing I throw it away?

Looks like I will be going back to something non-electrical, that will last."

Alicia ... "So sorry the troubleshooting didn’t work Tim. And yes since it is out of warranty it would be time to toss that one. Thanks for being an RCBS customer!"

Originally Posted By: Yote NewbThat sucks. Just curious what did they have you try to get rid of internal static?

RCBS...."you basically have static electricity attacking your load cell. Turn the scale on with just the platen on the scale and no pan. Start tapping on the platen and increase the pressure of each tap until you see an "O/L" flash on the screen and disappear. Then zero the scale out and tap real quick on the platen 50 times, with not so much pressure (you don't want the "O/L" through this process), and then zero the scale again. This should relieve the residual stresses built up in the load cell from the static electricity. You may also want to wipe the scale down with an anti static cloth or dryer sheet from the laundry to remove any static electricity from the surface. You can wipe down the pan, platen, and weights as well. To try to avoid the static electricity from building up in the first place, you can leave a dryer sheet sitting under the scale when it is not being used. Give this a try and let us know if you still have trouble."

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke Me... "Alicia, I took it to work and tried a couple outlets there, same problems. Since it is out of warranty and probably something that does not get fixed, I'm guessing I throw it away?

Looks like I will be going back to something non-electrical, that will last."

Alicia ... "So sorry the troubleshooting didn’t work Tim. And yes since it is out of warranty it would be time to toss that one. Thanks for being an RCBS customer!"

Well that just plain sucks, Tim. I guess RCBS isn't too interested in your future business.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I wonder what the average length of time something like this lasts

Some seem to last years. I always wonder what is different between one to the next.

Greg

a quick google search shows a fair number of issues spread out across the various gun forums, however based on the fact that there's probably untold thousands of these chargemasters in the field - i'm betting the 5 year failure rate is pretty low %.

my only reason for that speculation is that if it was THAT awful at sub 5 years, i cant imagine a lot of folks would want one, nor would you see them regularly praised by their owners like they seem to be.

it would be very interesting to see a study of fail rates as a % when graphed out over time, unfortunately if that kind of data even exists, the chances of it getting out 'Into the wild' if you will, are probably pretty low.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Redleg84I wonder what the average length of time something like this lasts

Some seem to last years. I always wonder what is different between one to the next.

Greg

The ones that fail early probably had the electronics made the day after the Chinese new year and the ones that last were probably made on a Wednesday during a normal work week.
tt2.gif

Possibility...Tripp Lite Isobar 2 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 6ft Cord Right Angle Plug. On Amazon for around $40. I have one on my CM and have never had any kinds of drifting problems. Off the same outlet I have a regular surge strip that I have a radio and a small heater plugged into.

This is an old post brought up by the azz hat, but did you ever get the problem figured out? My Lyman does some crazy stuff now and then.

Back