First call for beginner

bkenobi

I'm a pretty seasoned bird hunter, but have only gone on one coyote hunt. The guy I went with used an electronic call with a decoy of some kind, but I didn't ask what it was at the time (a few years back anyway). I'm looking to get something affordable but not junk so I was curious if people would recommend one of the following (or maybe these are too old and not a good option today):
[*]Foxpro Spitfire[*]Foxpro Wildfire 2[*]Foxpro Deadbone (DB-1)[*]Icotech GC300[/list]
I've read a bunch of reviews on all but these calls are all several years old except for the Icotech so they may not be relevant given alternatives. Right now I'm leaning towards the Wildfire or Spitfire which are on sale at Cabelas for $120 and $99. Of the 2, the Wildfire seems the better option since it's a bit newer and seems more feature robust. I'd rather spend a little extra now rather than have junk.

Opinions?

Originally Posted By: bkenobi I'd rather spend a little extra now rather than have junk.

Opinions?

my opinion. i would borrow, beg or save up a little longer and get the FoxPro inferno. impressive remote and impressive caller. way, way better caller than any of those you have listed. can be found for right at $200 for new. might find a good used one for less.

check out the Johnny Stewart grim speaker 2. on sale at allpredatorcalls.com for $76.50 shipped.

I called and verified today that it accepts generic mp3s and wav files.

based on the specs it should be a good beginner call.

heck i ordered one just for the fun of trying it out.
even though I already own a shockwave, alpha dogg and wildfire2.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: bkenobi I'd rather spend a little extra now rather than have junk.

Opinions?

my opinion. i would borrow, beg or save up a little longer and get the FoxPro inferno. impressive remote and impressive caller. way, way better caller than any of those you have listed. can be found for right at $200 for new. might find a good used one for less.
x2 Owned all 3. Still have the Inferno. Much better than the other two. The remote alone is worth it.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: bkenobi I'd rather spend a little extra now rather than have junk.

Opinions?

my opinion. i would borrow, beg or save up a little longer and get the FoxPro inferno. impressive remote and impressive caller. way, way better caller than any of those you have listed. can be found for right at $200 for new. might find a good used one for less. Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: bkenobi I'd rather spend a little extra now rather than have junk.

Opinions?

I am in total agreement. The Inferno is an excellent call.

I'll go to cabelas this week and put eyes on the inferno. I know they had something in the bargain cave last time I was there but didn't write down the model. I think it was a $300 model for around $150 but that's all I recall.

Last edited:
If they have a discontinued FoxPro for $150. I would still buy the new Inferno for $199. The remote is so much better than older models. No comparison.

Originally Posted By: hammer0419If they have a discontinued FoxPro for $150. I would still buy the new Inferno for $199. The remote is so much better than older models. No comparison.

good advice right there.

The 3 in the bargain cave were gone. a they had an all-in-one unit by WR. it looked like this one but included a lure.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/western-rivers-stalker-360-electronic-game-call-wrc-swlstalk/

I think they wanted $499 new/$350 discount.

I looked at the remotes for the different FP models and I see a bit of difference between the wildfire and inferno, but nothing like the step up to the shockwave. That new remote looks like it'd be easy to use with gloves. The only thing I could tell between the wildfire and inferno was a slight increase in size. Concensus is that the inferno is $80 better? Do they ever go on sale?

Originally Posted By: bkenobiThe 3 in the bargain cave were gone. a they had an all-in-one unit by WR. it looked like this one but included a lure.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/western-rivers-stalker-360-electronic-game-call-wrc-swlstalk/

I think they wanted $499 new/$350 discount.

I looked at the remotes for the different FP models and I see a bit of difference between the wildfire and inferno, but nothing like the step up to the shockwave. That new remote looks like it'd be easy to use with gloves. The only thing I could tell between the wildfire and inferno was a slight increase in size. Concensus is that the inferno is $80 better? Do they ever go on sale?

Inferno comes with 75 sounds and the Wildfire only has 35 I believe. I've never use the Wildfire remote but I just got the inferno after using the spitfire for a few years. The inferno is hands down a way better remote. Easily worth the price difference between the two. I got my Inferno on sale for 20% off at Cabelas a few weeks ago so yes, they do go on sale occasionally.

I've had my spitfire for a long time remote range was the only gripe I had about it. A corn stubble field was the kiss of death for it. If you can afford it get the foxpro with the better remote range. Plus customer service is top notch and a excellent sound library.
I also have an Icotec gc500 that my family bought me last year. I have been really pleased with it so far, have yet to connect with a coyote with it but I have called in a couple just no shots. The remote range on it is outstanding it will easily do 200 yards and doesn't have to be in line of sight. I know some of the reviews talk about it not being as loud as foxpro and the clairty of sound. I really can't hear that much of a differance compared to my spitfire. Now on the higher end fox pros their probably is a difference. But for what I do here around the cornfields and pastures the icotec is doing fine. The sound library for Icotec is getting better but I play mostly mp3's that I've gotten from the web Tony Tebbe cowtip cotton tail is one of my favorites
J

Last edited:
I guess I'll keep an eye out for a sale at cabelas or dicks in the near future. I think cabelas runs a 10-20% off coupon every couple months so maybe that will show up soon.

I wouldn't recommend the ICO gc300 if you can afford something better. It is the only ecaller I have ever owned and I have 2 main complaints about it. You're stuck with the 12 preloaded sounds and its not decoy compatible.. The GC 320 fixes these issues though... Other than that I have had pretty good success with it.. Wish It had coon fight...

I talked to my buddy I went hunting with years ago. He said not to waste money at the $200 price point. His recommendation was get a 2 speaker model that can use a decoy. Basically spend $400 now rather then $200 and then $400. Now I'm more undecided.

The question is more whether the lower end models work or if they are toys. If they both call yotes in then that's one thing. If the cheaper ones can call in a despite dog but a more expensive model actually works, that's different.

My buddy indicated he bigger 2 speaker models with the decoy were way better but he has both types.

I was initially thinking ~$100 would be good to start but it seems recommendations are leaning toward $400 being a real starting point. That's big difference!

I have a flextone that was around 150 bucks. Has a bunch of calls on it. I killed a dog with it the first time I took it out. For how often I have been going, it is all I am willing to invest and it works well.

To be honest, there is nothing wrong with some hand calls. I think it helps you learn to sit still and gives you quick and easy control to work the dog in. Not only is it cheap, I find it more fun and rewarding. I like sceery calls.

As for a decoy, no need to spend much. I use a turkey feather tied to a stick with fishing line and a swivel. Killed them at spitting distance while they are looking at the feather twirling.

Remember, people are in the business of taking your money. Heck, I even called a couple young and dumb ones with just my voice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bkenobiThe question is more whether the lower end models work or if they are toys. If they both call yotes in then that's one thing. If the cheaper ones can call in a despite dog but a more expensive model actually works, that's different.

My buddy indicated he bigger 2 speaker models with the decoy were way better but he has both types.

I was initially thinking ~$100 would be good to start but it seems recommendations are leaning toward $400 being a real starting point. That's big difference!

I thought the same, I've bought call after call thinking one will be the miracle cure of being more successful. don't get me wrong there are features on my Shockwave that are helpful. but after learning more about stand setup/wind I am confident that the same can be done with a $70 GS2 and a $20 decoy.

if you lose interest a $600 call will collect the same amount of dust as a $70 caller.

it never hurts to have a spare of anything, why not try the $70 call and if you love the sport then upgrade.

Back