Custom call opinions

Hello, just picked up one of rudy's "bunny bomb" and upon blowing air through it for the first time I caught the "custom call fever". Just wondering which custom calls y'all like best and which are a "must have" on your lanyard as I am looking to start collecting. Thanks for the help in advance!
PS if you don't have a call from Rudy you seriously need to check him out. His call will be riding in my #1 slot on my string. Heck of a guy to deal with and his work is second to none. do yourself a favor and give him a call, you can thank me later

I just got a Sage River call and it plays a pretty tune, and it's one of the nicest pieces of cocobolo I've seen. Catwhacker makes some nice calls, as does bearmanric and canislatrans. You might have to get some from Kerry Carver, more from Rudy (I have half a dozen at least), some from Orion calls... Ah heck, just get one or two or three from each of the makers here and you'll just be getting a start on catching up to 220_swift.
grin.gif

Thanks for the replys gentlemen! I don't necessarily need anymore calls but how many is too many ya know? After receiving my call from Rudy I was totally hooked on the custom calls. My goal is to eventually (time and money permitted) obtain a call from all the makers here on the forums as I feel it adds character and separates my sound from the rest of the dudes screaming the same fox pro rabbit distress sound that ole wise dog has heard time and time again. The craftsmanship and individual uniqueness of the custom calls are what real grab my eye and say "take my money". I've just ordered one of rare earths "red f" closed reed calls and am currently in the process of getting one of bearmanric's calls as well. Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated

"Need" you say? Need has nothing to do with it my friend! I have enough custom hand calls that I could use a different one on every stand in a season and probably not have to blow the same on twice. And yet, I can't help buying more. It is an addiction. But hey, it beats crack...

Originally Posted By: AlleghenyMtnDoggerThanks for the replys gentlemen! I don't necessarily need anymore calls but how many is too many ya know? After receiving my call from Rudy I was totally hooked on the custom calls. My goal is to eventually (time and money permitted) obtain a call from all the makers here on the forums as I feel it adds character and separates my sound from the rest of the dudes screaming the same fox pro rabbit distress sound that ole wise dog has heard time and time again. The craftsmanship and individual uniqueness of the custom calls are what real grab my eye and say "take my money". I've just ordered one of rare earths "red f" closed reed calls and am currently in the process of getting one of bearmanric's calls as well. Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated

Oh yeah, you have only begun to buy calls; you need more calls!! I want to say there's somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 - 300 calls in my cabinet. About 60/40 Custom Calls and Vintage Calls. And, that doesn't include the 20 or so I've got turned out in the shop. Is that too many??

And, yes... Rudy has a pretty good chunk of shelf space there in my cabinet too.

The total number of calls "needed", ultimately depends on your own decisions. Hahaha

Like others have said, in my book, there's no such thing as "too many". Hahaha

Congrats on joining the "addiction"!

Thanks fellas!! Lots of time I spend as much time on the Bunny Bomb tone board as I do on the body.

If I wouldn't hunt it, it doesn't go out the door.

They're cast about 75% done, just a hunk of cured resin. Then I finish each one the rest of the way by hand. I fiddle around with 'em till I get the sound I like.

I think most of the call makers here take this kind of pride in their work. I've met many of them, hunted with a lot of them, and are friends with them all. Good people here.

The crew that was at the World Expo in Columbus Ohio a few years ago rocked. What a blast!

Rudy

Rudy

I got a matching bunny bomb and a closed reed call from Rudy, they both sound awesome and I was very surprised how little force is needed to get a loud sound out. Also I have an Orion dbl dbl in route to my house as we speak!!!

As was said, need has nothing to do with it. Once you start, your hooked. I have quite a few in my collection and haven't got a bad one. Just find ones you like and grab them. If you don't someone else will. Even as a old call maker I never quit buying them. Just as fun collecting. I have made many of good friends thru collecting and making calls on this site. Wouldn't trade any of their friendships for the world
And yes, I've met Rudy. we have spent some time together. He is good people. And he was right about the crew at the Expo in Columbus. It was a crazy bunch. We had a great time. Wish we could have a get together like that again!

Dustydawg. Miss you buddy. We had a sweet time at the expo. Kerry met Rolling Rock, bear man, mock, and that maniac Catwhacker. Good times, good friends, all via Predator Masters. This site ROCKS.
Rudy

Yea it's been a while brother. Kinda been all over since the big D. Been messing in dad's shop a little until I can get something set up. It's been nice to spin a couple calls. We will have to catch up sometime. I finally went to day shift for a normal life.

Originally Posted By: badtotheboneDustydawg. Miss you buddy. We had a sweet time at the expo. Kerry met Rolling Rock, bear man, mock, and that maniac Catwhacker. Good times, good friends, all via Predator Masters. This site ROCKS.
Rudy

I'm pretty sure I'm not a maniac!! I could be a little bat crap crazy though!!

Back