1 stand- 4 coyotes

TN_predators

Well, my Saturday was amazing! Best hunt I've been on to date. This is a long read, bear with me.

Uncle and I went out last night to do some locating and had a good group talk back. Decided to follow up this evening and boy we're glad we did!

About 15 minutes into the stand (4:30) we sounded off with a group howl. Sure enough, the group (or so we think) fired up not long after we let up. Sounded like it was coming from the same area we heard them the night before. We considered picking up and moving closer but decided to ride it out and see if they would come in to the call.

15 minutes later uncle whispers "dog". He's got his rifle shouldered and looking out in the field we were overlooking. I couldn't see it due to the tree line. After watching him just look through the scope for nearly a minute, out popped the big male. 22 yards away he showed his face for him to make a shot. BOOM, dead right there.

Instantly move into pup distress and after a minute or so, I noticed movement across the field. Get uncles attention and while he's scanning the field he spots another one trailing. After juggling back and forth on making the shot, they finally got stationary at the same time around 150 yards. Counted off, 3-2-1-BOOM. Mine dropped and his spun off and was flopping around. I squeezed off a couple more .223 V-max and finished the job.

During a celebration, he noticed ANOTHER coming across the field. Pup distress still working them in. At this point it's almost too dark to keep up with her moving across the field. We both lost her briefly but once I spotted her again, I let another V-max fly. It hit the mark and DRT. We couldn't contain the excitement anymore. Jumped up, did a little happy dance and exchanged roughly 30 high fives.

This was by far the best hunt either one of us have been on to date. One we'll never forget!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back