Help me pick a good bullet 234 AI

OKBrent

I've shot Burgers at coyotes for the last five years and have been happy with them. I recently threaded the end of my boys 22" Hart 1:12 barrel 243AI to shoot at coyotes and I loaded up some 70gr Target Match Bergers (now discontinued) and shot them at coyotes today. The entrance holes were huge! Messy! I'm looking for a light (I think?) bullet that will make a small hole and do the damage on the inside. I want to put them down. I'm shooting about 3750-3800. I've shot the Berger Varmints in 224 55 gr and they did will at high speeds but they don't make them in 6 mm 70 gr. Thanks for your help

You might try the 68 grain Bergers. I have a friend that is all he shoots in the 243's. I shot them in my 243AI and they grouped great but I never got to try them out on any game.

For a light bullet in the .243, I really like the 55 NBT. Have killed a few truckload of coyote with that bullet in various 6mm bores. 58 Vmax works well too.

- DAA

I use the 58 gr V max but you have to be careful of your shot if your saving fur, a straight on chest shot is the best a broadside shot will probably be a mess unless its 300 yards or so.

Originally Posted By: DAAFor a light bullet in the .243, I really like the 55 NBT. Have killed a few truckload of coyote with that bullet in various 6mm bores.

- DAA

And getting back to your Varmint Safari videos, I remember your pal Tim making some close to 500 yard prairie dog kills with that bullet in his almost bone stock Win M70 .243 Win. And with a 3-9 scope! Impressive!

We shot the 243 AI- 70g Nosler, 69g Berger, 70g TNT with 48.0-48.5g of win 460 and CCI 250(very important), 3800-3850 depending on bbl length.

If you are not wanting to blow up coyotes, I can only guess that DAA's advise with the 55g Nosler and the 58g V max may not detonate a coyote.

60g Sierra HP did not blow up a coyote shot out of a 6mm Rem at 4000, the AI may be a bit faster, but this is a tough bullet.

Last edited:
Back