20 cal DRT bullets

Matt K

I emailed DRT and asked if they have any future plans for a .20 cal bullet and they said they did not. I think we should all push them to consider making one of their bullets for 20's. Maybe a a heavier, good BC bullet that would have a nice thick jacket for good penetration and then rapid fragmentation. Their .22 cals seem to be the ticket in terms of what you'd want in a fast 20 cal. How many of you would be willing to send them a quick email?

Matt

Have you looked at the black hole bullets I think they might have one for you. What caliper you looking to shoot these out of?

Last edited:
Well you better google BlackHole Bullets then they proably have the best bullet going for you. They do have a website but not much info on it just email them any questions and they will get back to you. These bullets are expensive but suppose to work great specially with a 20-250. What's the twist rate on your barrel what lsmsome details on your rifle? What bullets are you currently shooting? I'm currently thinking about turning my 22-250 into a 20-250.

From my short research of them, they sound like they're definitely worth a try! And this is my first wildcat but I've had fun so far. The rifle is a savage axis 22-250 that's been pillar and glass bedded into a Boyd's thumb hole. It also has a Timney trigger. The barrel is a blank from Green Mountain. It's a 12 twist and I had Kevin Weaver fit the barrel and contour to the Savage Predator contour. He chambered it for a no turn, standard 20-250. Brass is very simple to make. My bullet of choice was the machined brass 28gr "Controlled Chaos" from lehigh defense. It's a low BC bullet but the first trip to the range showed very good accuracy up to a pretty low charge of Benchmark. I only worked up to a mild load due to not having concrete load data. This weekend I'm gonna try and get back out and work towards a more stout load of powder and watch for pressure and hopefully continued accuracy. I've loved this rifle so far and can't wait to park a coyote on the ground with it. What kind of rifle are you thinking of doing?

Last edited:
I was thinking of using my savage axis also I have a Timney trigger in it too was thinking about a Boyd's thumb hole stock pillered and beded was thinking abouta BHW 24-26" barrel. What kind of scope and rings and and base you using? I have a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 mil. Using a weaver mount with leupold rings.

Last edited:
I can tell you from a lot of shooting with it that the Boyd's is a MUST. Very good stocks for only $140. the Axis is slightly tricky to bed due to how the trigger group sits in there but it's doable! And it will make that axis shoot MUCH better. And if you want to rebarrel to the 20-250, call Kevin Weaver. He knows a whole [beeep] of a lot about the caliber.

Redfield bases and rings and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9. Nothing fancy in the glass department yet! Sounds like you got a sweet rig there!

Mine is currently a 22-250 and the factory stock broke so I'm saving for a Boyd's. Did you bed hours yourself or have someone do it for you?

They're quality stocks! To be honest, when I bought my axis, it shot very poorly from the factory but I didn't give up on it! Mine took very minor sanding to fit. And I went ahead and bedded it myself. I did quite a bit of reading prior to going for it. It shot prettt well as a 22-250 but would always throw random fliers here and there and the bedding absolutely solved it.

Last edited:
Back