Iver Johnson single shot restoration project (sorta pic heavy)

rush709

Picked up a single shot 12 gauge recently, was thinking I'd either use it as a wall hanger or restoration project. When I got it, it was a pretty solid gun, the wood had seen better days, but the metal looked like it was taken care of and solid overall. Rather than make it a wall hanger, I decided to try restoring it a bit. It was in much better shape than I thought it would be actually. No rust, inside of the barrel is like a mirror, outside of the barrel looked like someone had taken a brillow pad to it and removed patches of blue, but overall, not terrible shape (the wood was bad though).

It was sold as a "Cooey Ranger", though from the shape of it, I was thinking it was an Iver Johnson. Apparently, Sears bought from them and rebranded Iver Johnson shotguns as "Ranger" and then sold them as the Sears brand. When I got it, that was confirmed. Taking it apart, I found a little folded up piece of paper under the butt plate, turned out to be the original registration, from 1940. Listed as an Iver Johnson on that. There was also a number scratched on the back side of the butt plate that matched the serial stamped on the trigger guard.

Used some paint stripper and took off the varnish that was left. Then used a bit of sandpaper and cleaned it up a bit more. Didnt sand down deep enough to get clear of all the original stain, so the forestock is much darker than the back. It's either not original or someone refinished one of the pieces before. The forestock looked kinda like someone shaped the front part, i've never seen an Iver Johnson shaped liked that before... who knows...

It was hard to match the colors, the forestock only got one coat of stain (maybe should have been none..), and did seven or eight on the back. Just wasnt taking the stain as much. Ran out of stain, so i'm calling that it.

The receiver was in pretty good shape, havent touched it yet, this is still a work in progress, but the barrel was a bit dodgy. Went at it with 320 grit, 400, and steel wool, got pretty clean.

I used Outters cold blue kit. $17. Came with cleaner, blue, and steel wool. I wasnt expecting great things, but was quite surprised.

First coat:

Second:

Third (has a new Tikka next to it to compare):

So i'm still not done, but that's my progress. Going to do the wood with boiled linseed later this afternoon, first coat anyway. I think i'll clean up the receiver a bit more, and maybe do the blue on that too. Quite impressed with how well it took on the barrel.

I love those old Iver Johnson shotguns. I had two, a 12 and a 20 guage. I should have my butt kicked for letting go of them, especially the 20 guage. Also, my brother has my Grandfather's old Iver Johnson 12 guage that has a 32" barrel. I have seen Dad drop a lot of gray squirrels with that old shotgun.

Your cold blue job came out better than most that I've seen in the past and the wood is a definite improvement from what you had to start with...Great job...

I've gotten a lot of pleasure out of cleaning and refurbishing some of my 'pick ups' from the 1930s and 40s...For some reason they always seem to shoot a little better than some of the more modern ones...

Originally Posted By: RBO11Good work. I am surprised that cold blue is turning out so well. Is that a liquid blue or a paste?

It was "Outters" brand. All I could find locally. Was a bit wary of it because Canadian Tire sells it (they don't often carry the best of anything). Followed the directions and was quite impressed. The pictures don't even do it justice.

Nice .....I have that same shotgun in .410 that was my fathers. Killed a few doves and some bunnies with it before it relegated to the back of the safe. Mine has a broken butt plate which I have never been able to locate a new one.

Back