Where did I go wrong?

Born2hunt96

This is my first year putting up fur and I have run across a problem. Previously I had a coyote that I didnt have time to deal with right away so I froze him whole and got to it about a week later with no issues. Two weeks ago I had a coyote and a raccoon given to me right before I was leaving for the weekend and it was going to be above freezing out so I decided to go ahead and skin them while they were warm. I skinned them out and decided to wash them before freezing the pelts. The guy I am learning from on YouTube washes all of his fur with just water and he says it gives him better prices. I then rolled them up tail to nose and froze them like he does so they unroll as they thaw. It has been cold again recently and my shop isn't heated so it has taken awhile for them to thaw. The problem I ran into is that they dried out by the time they unrolled. What did I do wrong? Do I just need to find a way to thaw them out? This might sound really stupid but they dont seem overly dried out yet, if I were to soak them in a bucket of water would that out some moisture back into the skin enough so I could flesh and throw them on a stretcher? Any input is appreciated!

Sounds like you rolled them FUR IN?
If I freeze any they are FUR OUT so the leather does not dry.

You're okay, just hydrate them. If the fur is wet, yeah, soak in a water bucket. If the fur is dry, wrap wet cloth around the leather side until it can be worked on a beam.

Originally Posted By: Born2hunt96 if I were to soak them in a bucket of water would that out some moisture back into the skin enough so I could flesh and throw them on a stretcher? Any input is appreciated!

yes.

Coon creek outdoors ? I washed mine and let them drip overnight and put them in the freezer. So I'll see if I run into the same problem as you. I wonder if you but them in the freezer right after washing if it would make a difference.
I do enjoy coon creeks youtube vids explains everything really well.
J

Yes sir! It actually ended up working out just fine, its just so darn cold here and my shop isn't heated that it takes forever for stuff to thaw and or dry.. I ended up soaking them for about an hour and then trying my best to get the fur to dry as quickly as possible before i fleshed them.. I think in the future im going to try fleshing first amd then washing becauae the tails of my coons got a little greasy.. Its my first year and I have been anything but efficient! Getting a lot better at skinning,fleshing, and boarding my fur though! Love his channel

This is my second year at trapping but will be my first for fleshing and drying. I'm sure by the time i get done it'll look like it went through by brush hog. But I'm having fun doing it.
I don't know if this will help or not but when I had frozen deer in my garage. I would take a cheap plastic tarp and put over it like a tent/teepee and then put a little electric ceramic heater inside on the floor and let it run over night. Just make sure it can't catch anything on fire. Down deep the meat was frozen but the surface had thawed enough to skin and quarter. It might speed up your hides thawing and not dry them out as fast.

I've gotten 6 coyotes this year but only 3 were worth keeping the other had mange bad.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good idea! I've been running a propane heater with a fan behind it blowing warm air on them from a distance... Still takes awhile and burns through the propane! I'll have to give that a try! What is your fleshing setup? I made my fleshing beam identical to his and I use the same necker knife that he does. It really does work well! I'm planning on making a skinning machine for next season. Right now I have a short rope with a sliding loop on one end to cinch down on the fur and a fixed loop on the other end for my foot to go in. once I get the critters skinned down past the tail I can pull and cut at the same time! Kinda the same concept as the skinning machine just not quite as efficient!

Also all my fur this year has either been hunted or picked up off the side of the road haha I bought 2 DP coon traps to mess around with but never caught anything.. I bought 6 more used ones from a buddy and am hoping to try a little harder next year! Kind of apprehensive to try trapping k9s because it seems pretty difficult

Back when i was young & single, I hung fur in my shower to thaw. Kept bathroom warm so pipes wouldnt freeze. Furs thawed well and any drippings were easy to clean up with dawn and warm water. After i got married that ment i had to put heater in shop. Have a bigger house with 2 bathrooms now so, back in house they go. As far as a skinning machine. I have a cheap harbor freight electric wench in my shop rafters and 2 anchors in the floor. Once I skin down far enough I use 2 golf balls and rope to pull hide. For drying I have a spare room with mug hooks in ceiling, fan & heater. Wife still wants to complain but the money I make buys her jewelry so she keeps her mouth closed about it.

That is really smart!I wish I could use the shower! I am a college student and mainly put up fur when im home for winter break.. If my mom caught me bringing my pelts into the house she would probably skin me and throw me onto a stretcher to dry with the rest of them!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Born2hunt96 What is your fleshing setup?
Its a pvc like his I made a bracket for it so it slips into the hitch of my 4 wheeler. I also bought a necker knife.
I caught a coyote this morning that is drip drying right now it will be my first attempt at fleshing tomorrow. I also made a skinning machine similar to his but I put a hand winch from harbor freight on it works out fine.
Don't get to worked up over k9's their smart but can be caught. What I have learned so far. On my flat sets my backings are small probably no bigger than a shoe box I will put a small log or branch on the back side to keep them from working from the back. I also had a bad habit of placing my traps to close to my backing. I got them about 9 inches to a foot out now. I'm using duke no 2 and bridger no 2 dogless both are off set. I've had some trap set for two weeks then get something
If your not a member of trapper talk join it a lot of info over there I'm on there as illinideer. If I remember right theres a form they email you to fill out.

After washing I work sawdust into the fur. Snap out the sawdust when it feels wet, and repeat until the fur is dry. No more overnight drying...get it on the board the same day.

I wouldn't wash any coon after fleshing.The hide will be covered in dirt and coon are dried skin side out.If I have to freeze hides after skinning I roll them up fur side out and put them in a plastic trash bag ,then just take them in the house and thaw them in the bag over night.I always take mine to the laundry mat lol wash them hand them to dry which doesn't take long since the spin cycle has them pretty close to dry then flesh and board.

Back