How long should it take to clean when tumbling brass with pins?

I made my own tumbler from pvc pipe. Not sure how much water I use maybe a gallon. I ran easily run 300 223 cases or 500 9mm. I only use a 45acp casing full of lemi-shine and 1-2 table spoons of Dawn. When it comes to lemi-shine more is not better. Never use more than 2 45acp casings full of lemishine or you will get pink brass.

mix is 1 tablespoon dawn platinum and 1/4 teaspoon lemishine in 2 quarts water, in the cleaner now. we'll see how it looks after a couple of hours.

this brass is clean, it's a matter of getting a better finish on it.

I think it looks worse. Also the finish is worst where cases were against the basket, I may have to find a glass container of some sort that will fit in the cleaner.

Originally Posted By: LazerusAre you guys rinsing after your tumble?

Absolutely. Pour off the dirty water, rinse with the sink nozzle, fill my Dillon separator enough to cover half the cage and pour in the brass and pins. Spin them. Dump the water and spin the cage to jostle any water. Pour on a towel and a quick rub and air dry. This produces nice shiny brass and with no spots.

Greg

Originally Posted By: LazerusAre you guys rinsing after your tumble?

yes

i actually use my rinsing stage as the pre-seperation from the pins.

i have a large plastic mixing bowl (from the dollar store) that i pour everything into from the tumbler barrel.

then i turn on the faucet and start rinsing the crud out. its amazing how dirty that water is.

once i have hand agitated them in the bowl for several minutes (think mixing up tossed salad) and the water is fully running clear, then i go into my tumbler for final separation.

i usually come back into the plastic mixing bowl for a final rinse before they get drained off and head for the dehydrator to dry. since i'm not using my seperator wet like you can the factory models, this makes sure i dont have a stray pin stuck inside to a drop of water. rarely do i get one on that final rinse, but every once in a while i do.

i put them into an old towel to do a basic external drying before they go into the dehydrator, i find this cuts my drying time in about half and with my hard water here on the well, prevents any spotting

i'm too cheap to rinse with distilled water
smile.gif

Back