Interested in getting into trapping. Need advice

dhurt

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by asking but, what foot hold traps would you guys recommend? I'm wanting to buy maybe 10-12 for next season and want good quality K9 traps for dirt hole sets. I don't mind paying more for good quality, buy once, cry once right?

Well super durable 1's are jakes, but you will pay.. MB 550 not horrible in cost and a good trap but you will still spend a bit more. Good quality cheaper ones are bridgers. But I have some dukes and they work just as well just may not get the years out of them. If you haven't learned to trap get with you local trapping association, if they are anything like our they have a mentor page you can get some ride alongs. Also Trapperman.com help me with a learning curve. good luck, its addicting that's all I did this year..

No problem anything I can do to help, I am no expert by far, but I know how hard it is to get started. I actually found a guy on here that helped me get started. So pay it forward a little at a time, I say

For first timers I would recommend the Bridger #2 coil spring. While the MB's are an excellent trap they can be frustrating for a newbie until you learn about pan pressure. Jakes for when you turn pro....
smile.gif

As for the Bridger...go with two coil dog-on and learn to trap. Once you've got experience you'll make your own choices but you'll still use those Bridgers...

Originally Posted By: sigprosI have some victor 1.75 rubber jaw I'd probably part with. Great trap especially if you have a live market for coyotes
I appreciate the offer but work is slow at the moment so I'll have to pass. my plan is start buying this summer to prepare.

Anther thing to know MB come nite latched which is nice, you can nite latch dukes your self but takes a bit of practice, Bridgers come with a sort of night latching, I don't have many bridgers so I don't know them as well, but the 1's I have a sort of nite latching dog.

The bridger #2 dogless are night latched just had to file the end a little bit to shorten the pan travel. Took just a couple of minutes to do each trap.

Back