60g vmax cloverleaf out of my 14.5" POF P415! Is this still the holy grail of 5.56 bullets for coyotes?

Dultimatpredator

My gun likes this bullet with 25g of benchmark. I haven't been out west calling for about 8 years and am going next week. I have only shot one coyote sitting facing me at 125 yards with this bullet years ago and it tipped over and never moved. I couldn't find the entrance or exit hole. Is this still the go to bullet for DRTing and being fur friendly?

Last edited:
In wouldnt hesitate to use that bullet, put it in the right spot and you will be golden. Good shooting!! Keep us posted on the pile of fur you bring back.

Awesome! I still haven't gotten that elusive one ragged hole group.

I am shooting this bullet in my bolt gun and have had good performance so far, but I haven't shot a lot of coyotes with it yet. Have not had a large exit wound so far.

Thanks, I shot this last week when it was -7 with a 10-15 mph wind on top of it which took us to a -30 with wind chill. I ended up getting frost bite on one of my fingers in the process.

Nice groups! Last year I wanted to get rid of some TAC powder and 52gr SMK's I had laying around. 26.5gr's built at magazine length, LC brass,Rem 7/12 primers. Been my go to round for dogs ever since. 11 dogs with it,..2 of the 11 spun around a few times before tipping over,..the other 9 DRT. Give it a try if ya have some laying around!

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223In wouldnt hesitate to use that bullet, put it in the right spot and you will be golden. Good shooting!! Keep us posted on the pile of fur you bring back.

Just packed the weapons of predator mass destruction for their journey in a pelican 1700 [img:left]ttp://equally.photobucket.com/user/tripplebeards/media/20170112_204657_1.jpg.html]
20170112_204657_1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I know this is an old post but to follow up I shot 9 coyotes. All bang flops using my POF and 60g vmax with Fifty cent size holes in and out on all broadside shots.

Last edited:
only bullet that i found would fly decent through my Daniel Defense loaded by black hills. defiantly puts a hurting on our local ground hogs, only have got to kill a couple coyotes with it and it defiantly killed them and had my shot placement been a little better i may not have had to use the follow up shots but all in all the 60 max is gonna be a tough one to beat for me

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorMy gun likes this bullet with 25g of benchmark. I haven't been out west calling for about 8 years and am going next week. I have only shot one coyote sitting facing me at 125 yards with this bullet years ago and it tipped over and never moved. I couldn't find the entrance or exit hole. Is this still the go to bullet for DRTing and being fur friendly?

Probably one of the better ones but I would havd to say NO. This was my buddie's load this last year. Waaaaaaaay too many runners and he CAN shoot.

Originally Posted By: cmateraTony Tebbes pet load was the 60 Vmax with 25.5 gr of Varget.

I hunted with Tony a few years back and used the 60 V-Max in my 16" Bushmaster. Was pure death on coyotes and is my favorite bullet in the 223. I don't have the numbers of coyotes that Tony does with that bullet, but the ones I have taken couldn't hit the ground fast enough.

My hunting partner has used the 60 gr VMax in a DTech 1/8 twist for years now and that’s the bullet I recommend for the 223 for sure. If you have runners then could be a twist rate issue or shot placement on those particular animals.

The 60 gr. V-Max gives five shot groups that hover around 1/2" from my RRA Coyote Carbine 1/9 twist. I fuel it with a dose of TAC powder. Kills farm and hunting varmints like feral cats, dogs, groundhogs, possums, skunks, armadillo, coon, crows, fox, coyote and bobcat with no issues in my personal experience.

Back