Red/gray fox & coyote traps

coolbrze

Going to purchase some footholds, what are the best ones out there for red/gray fox & coyotes? I hear the MB450s are darn good. How do the Victor & Duke traps compare to the MB450s? Just out of curiosity will any of them hold a bobcat?

My friend run's mb 550 and he's caught all 3 of your animals. I run duke #2 offsets that I have modified,they have been base plated,laminated jaws and heavier chain. Plus I just got some bridger #2 dogless off sets last week really a nice trap their already base plated and have good chain and swivels. I've had coyotes and bobcat in my dukes held them fine.
Did get a coyote in the bridger yesterday.
If I buy anymore traps it'll be the bridgers

Last edited:
MB450's are alittle small for coyote. I'd definitely go with the 550's. I've caught everything from possum to coyote in them.

I use the MB550, MB650 and the Jake Traps for coyote and fox. By far the Jake Traps work the best for me. Just set the pan tension for the animal, light for fox and heavy for coyote. Most of the with light pan tension will catch foxes above the paw but most coyotes will be toe catches. Setting the pan tension tight will catch coyotes above the paw but will have foxes step all over the trap and sometimes dig them up. Must bed the traps tight with no movement. The Jake Traps are very quick traps.

I do know that I am the odd man out here but I run #2 Bridgers for Coyotes and Bobcats. Have no problem with catching raccoons in them either for me it's a good all-around trap. I am in south Texas so I do not have many critters over 35 pounds if this helps. I have never owned an MB trap but folks love them and from the reviews, I have read you can not go wrong with MB's. I will probably try them the next time I order some traps.

Out of the box, MB 550s will do the job. The less you spend in original purchase is money/time you will spend modifying them before they will be the traps you want. I have used duke #3s for yotes here in Wy and had excellent luck with them, but I spent lots of time tinkering with them, and replacing/ adding parts to toughen them up to the standard I wanted. Heavier chain, etc.
I have gotten out of big trapping of coyotes, to much time worrying over cows, which has turned into wolf trapping.
Wolf trapping is a different ball game, gear wise, from yodel dogs. I pulled the pin and ordered MB 750s at $370 a dozen, time is money and $800 calves aren't wolf chow.

If I'm targeting fox - 450's. I guide my fox set ups.

If I'm targeting coyotes, 550RJ. I do not guide my yote sets.

But I do it for the live market so I try to be careful with the feet.

I've caught plenty of both in both. I've found the 450's are a little easier on the feet for fox.

Grey's down here fight like the dickens and I see broke legs with the 550's when I do not use rubber jaws.

So if I had to advise 1 trap for all 3, I'd say the 550 with the rubber jaw.

Back