Cyclops Varmint Light

BrushDog45

Hey everyone!
First post here and looking for opinions. Looking for a decent gun mounted light. Too begin with I will use this on shotgun as I use my rifles during the day mainly. Not too many long range night shots in the brush in my area. The Coyote Light is not really in my budget and while I mostly trap, I want to do some night calling also. Just don't want to spend a whole lot right now on a light. Any opinions as an entry level light?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!! These forums have always been a huge help. I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and opinions.

***EDIT*** I had a link posted to one but I'm not sure about having a link like that in my post. Anyway it's a Cyclops Varmint Gun Light. This particular model is 250 lumens and I can get it now for $99.00 on sale.

-BrushDog

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with that particular light but it appears to be similar to the EWT 250 kill light. If it is, it should be plenty bright enough for a shotgun. But, you will need a different mount unless you have a scope on your shotgun. BeamShot makes a very good one that clamps to a shotgun barrel and has a rail.
With that said, unless rifles are not legal to use at night in your area, I would at least consider a rifle over a shotgun. You can kill an animal at 10 yards with a rifle but you might have a problem killing an animal at much over 45-50 yards with a shotgun.
Clamp on mounts are readily available that allow you to almost instantly mount/dismount the light from a scope. You would not be dedicating your rifle for night hunting with a clamp mount.

Thanks for the fast response and info! I didn't feel like this would be a very popular light in the community. I am reading a lot from others about lights like Coyote Light and Lightforce. Maybe one day if I get productive at calling. The only real issue for me and a rifle at night is I am restricted to .22 cal and smaller at night time. I can use my .22-250 and my .223 during day but at night it's actual .22 or shotgun. I may check this light out as it states it has multiple mounts. If anyone has a correction on WV regulations, it would be great to hear. It's how I understand the law. If I do in fact pick this light up, I will try to post a review with pics. Thanks!

You can spend however much you want on a light, but this light will light up a coyote WAY past your effective range with a shotgun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T20-Zoomable-Green-Red-IR-850nm-940nm-Light-Hunting-Night-Vision-Flashlight-/112160795766?var=412317882466&hash=item1a1d4dec76:m:mGngYJMKdD2zgc_lICeAJ0Q

Last edited:
Alright new question hopefully this is the right place for it. If I use an IR light with my NV monocular, does it make everything brighter in the NV? Have never looked into that. I have a monocular night vision (few yrs old nothing fancy) the only issue being, without more-than-average moonlight in my woods, Very little shows up. Even with my IR button turned on.

Just to be clear, the link to the light I posted above is either, red, green, 850nm or 940nm not a combo. You would need to order a red and an 850 if you wanted both a light for your shotgun and help for your NV.

Originally Posted By: BrushDog45Alright new question hopefully this is the right place for it. If I use an IR light with my NV monocular, does it make everything brighter in the NV? Have never looked into that. I have a monocular night vision (few yrs old nothing fancy) the only issue being, without more-than-average moonlight in my woods, Very little shows up. Even with my IR button turned on.

Yes an external illuminator will give you a lot brighter view. The built-in IR is made more for illuminating things very close up, like a few feet away.
If you already have a NV monocular, depending on model/generation, maybe you should look into mounting it and an illuminator on a helmet and put a IR laser on the shotgun. That is a very easy to use and lethal combo.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the responses. Mine is a Nightowl NV from a few years back. Nothing like what I see people using now. But just to add to things because I will probably always use it for something regardless - I picked up the Cyclops last night. Haven't taken any good pics outside yet to show but I'll post one of it on my AR. It has several mounts and for now I am leaving it on my bedside AR until time to hunt. So far I love it. Can't speak for distance, yet.

https://goo.gl/photos/uroRtaAoaMUuz6HR7

https://goo.gl/photos/nQCEhgh1rdDhJqQn6

Not sure if these pics work or not, first time.

Last edited:
Look into the Coyote Reaper by Predator Tactics. You can order a IR bulb that is interchangeable with the colored LED's. Same housing and easy switch. Plenty of accessories to mount any way you need to get it done. Green, Red, Amber, or white on the available colors. Zoomable light so you can flood it out for tight spots of tighten it up to reach out there if you have a more open spot to call. Great company that stands behind the products for sure. Check out the "Reaper Torture Test" on YouTube and I think that you will be impressed with the durability of the light!

Originally Posted By: TXMACLook into the Coyote Reaper by Predator Tactics. You can order a IR bulb that is interchangeable with the colored LED's. Same housing and easy switch. Plenty of accessories to mount any way you need to get it done. Green, Red, Amber, or white on the available colors. Zoomable light so you can flood it out for tight spots of tighten it up to reach out there if you have a more open spot to call. Great company that stands behind the products for sure. Check out the "Reaper Torture Test" on YouTube and I think that you will be impressed with the durability of the light!

I didn't see amber on the website?

Back