6x45 why not 1,000 yard round?

Jayhawkhuntclub

I've seen people say this is not a 1000 yard round. Is this just because of drift and drop. From what I've seen it stays supersonic until about 1,000 yards. Sure I know there are lots of other rounds that will get there with less drop and drift. But what's wrong with this round for 1,000 yards? Never done it. I want to learn. Thanks!

Mostly the drift and drop and TOF. Faster is better if you can get it at long range. It is vary marginal with no extra HP on tap. You are pretty well limited to the 87/90 family of bullets and the big 6 MM's just won't let you load them fast enough.

We shoot F-Class 223's at 1000 but they are not easy to drive in conditions like the bigger BC bullets that are faster right out of the gate. The 6X45 is just not going to add much on top of that. Given perfect conditions it could be a contender or with a master at the trigger but for us mere mortals and AZ weather it is not on my calender for usage. YMMV

Greg

Yup, what GLShooter said. It would make it there but the drops would be huge and wind drift would take a super computer to master.

On top of that for Fclass shooting at least you wouldn't be able to use it in the T/R class, which means that guys with a lot faster 6mm and 6.5 and 7mm would walk all over you. BUT I have seen some guys do some incredible shooting, it can be done.

I've shot the 6X45 at 500 yards extensively. It will handle that fine, I've shot one for over 30 years in competition, in F-Class Open but moving from that to a 243 LBC sure makes it much easier to get on the podium.

Fantastic cartridge for anything from PD's to antelope used at appropriate ranges with the right bullets. For informal steel it would be a good teaching tool and cheap to shoot but given conditions in some parts of the country like Oklahoma or Kansas it will having you chewing the ends off your mustache. (VBG)

Greg

6x45 with a 105 a max would make for some fun on steel at 600...going for 1000 would sure put an end for your being a legend in your own mind.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman6x45 with a 105 a max would make for some fun on steel at 600...going for 1000 would sure put an end for your being a legend in your own mind.

LOL, as a 6x45 owner myself, I agree with above.

A 105gr Amax at 2600 fps is nearly ballistically identical to a .308 175gr SMK at 2600 fps. Of course energy on target is not and spotting hits may prove difficult, but if you turn a turret with the .308, should be about the same with the 105gr Amax.

Hornady has dropped the 105 AMAX and replaced it with the 108 ELD Match. This bullet was developed using an 8 inch twist. It also has a different profile on the boat tail and a more streamlined shape resulting in a shorter bearing surface which means you can increase the powder and get higher velocity. I'm trying to get ahold of some to test it in my 6mm Rem. The change came about when they looked at the Doppler radar results using the Amax and they realized that the current design was yielding a lower BC than they previously thought. Supposedly it should work in a 9 twist barrel if driven fast enough which I was told the 6mm Rem should do.

Back