Crows, crows, crows

We tried again this morning, two different locations. I can get them to talk back to me but cant get them to commit to fly over. We are well camoflauged and have pretty good ground cover around us.

I have heard the same thing about getting the "scout" when i first started seriously crow hunting. Its complete BS. The 25th crow will call out the same as the 1st. The most important thing is having a good blind. I shoot every crow that comes in range. I have let tons of "scouts" fly by because there are 10 coming 200 yards behind it. Crow hunting will change some depending on where you live. Here in central Ky we have plenty of birds but they are in smaller groups then you will find out west and they dont have to travel far from their roost to find corn, soy beans, feed lots ect so an area can become "shot out" fairly quick. They will become call shy. You have two options for calling. Soft and hard calling. Soft has worked WAY better for me with the lesser number of birds in a given area. Soft calling are things like fun and frolic, crow gathering, crow party, crow duet ect. Soft calling will catch the attention of passing birds and pull them in 2-5 at a time. This calling is done with a moderate volume. Hard calling are calls like crow fight, crow distress, crow and owl/hawk fight. This calling will be done on or near max volume and will bring in every crow within ear shot (given they havent been called to death and are call shy). I use any where from 6-20 decoys (depends on the stand i am making). One thing is sentries. That really is true. Crow will ALMOST always have them. I hang two hanging on all my stands now. To the OP you are in the best state their is for crow hunting. Really good numbers and basicly no regulations. Alabama has it figured it out when it comes to crow. Lol that turned into a rant and i have barely scratched the surface.

Last edited:
I used Foxpro "Dying Crow" today and killed 4 off the back porch. Set my call on the back porch and went back inside. Turned on the call, played crows 2 for a couple minutes then hit dying crow. While watching out the back window I could see them approaching. They got in close, opened the back door, and let the 870 rain. Talk about fun. Not as good as being out in the field, but easy way to get in some quick shooting when you're confined to being at the house.

FoxFusion of Dying Crow and Crow Hawk Fight has worked for me also.

When I first started hunting crows I was told of the "don't shoot the scout" theory. If you shoot the scout he can't go back and tell anybody anything. lol When the first crow comes to your spread and circles, but doesn't see your decoys moving or sees you, he won't come back.
Try to get the Johnny Stewart tape called "Crow Come Here" and the tape "Sentinel Crow" by Dennis Kirk.Play the Sentinel continually and you'll usually get singles or small groups to come in to investigate. They may show up without making any noise. Play the "Come Here" call when you want to get them excited, but they often come in a bigger flock. You may be able to get a couple, but you'll ruin your chances for them to return.
Having an area that has a lot of crows is the key to good shooting. Without a lot of birds in the area you'll burn them out quick. Being camo'd is very important.

Originally Posted By: jacobhwrdI have heard the same thing about getting the "scout" when i first started seriously crow hunting. Its complete BS. The 25th crow will call out the same as the 1st. The most important thing is having a good blind. I shoot every crow that comes in range. I have let tons of "scouts" fly by because there are 10 coming 200 yards behind it. Crow hunting will change some depending on where you live. Here in central Ky we have plenty of birds but they are in smaller groups then you will find out west and they dont have to travel far from their roost to find corn, soy beans, feed lots ect so an area can become "shot out" fairly quick. They will become call shy. You have two options for calling. Soft and hard calling. Soft has worked WAY better for me with the lesser number of birds in a given area. Soft calling are things like fun and frolic, crow gathering, crow party, crow duet ect. Soft calling will catch the attention of passing birds and pull them in 2-5 at a time. This calling is done with a moderate volume. Hard calling are calls like crow fight, crow distress, crow and owl/hawk fight. This calling will be done on or near max volume and will bring in every crow within ear shot (given they havent been called to death and are call shy). I use any where from 6-20 decoys (depends on the stand i am making). One thing is sentries. That really is true. Crow will ALMOST always have them. I hang two hanging on all my stands now. To the OP you are in the best state their is for crow hunting. Really good numbers and basicly no regulations. Alabama has it figured it out when it comes to crow. Lol that turned into a rant and i have barely scratched the surface. This is literally exactly what I have figured out in this past week of crow hunting. But I'll admit right off I still have a lot to learn but I don't think you can ever know EVERYTHING there is to know about a certain game.

I'd like to add a bit to the "shoot the first crow" arguement. Do not believe it because in the end feeling so pressured to take the first one is only gonna lead to taking bad shots and taking a shot and missing a crow wether it's the 1st 2nd or 3rd is gonna mess up your stand (unless of course your hunting heavy food or a really active roost/flyway) a [beeep] of a lot quicker then not shooting and letting the first crow filter in and leave or maybe just hang around. The biggest and most important thing no matter what is staying completely hid and completely still, crows have better eyesight than a turkey and they are 30 yards or higher in the sky. A flinch will make a crow 100 yards out turn and not come back and then you might as well pack up and move to the next area.

Last edited:
I have a mojo crow. I have a piece of 4' water line that I stick in the ground and turn him on. The crows will dive bomb him and give close shots. The mojo has increased productivity greatly.

Just started crow hunting, me and the ol man went out first day and shot threw a box of #7.5's skeet loads, missed everyone, though they where super high, was a great hour of shooting had about 50-75 come in.

2cnd time, same thing. But switched position in that same field.

Was using black socks propped up on sticks, which worked until they got close and could tell the difference. Primos Alpha dogg caller playing "GT_Crow Young" seem to bring'em in.

If I where to buy a owl decoy would you think that would bring them down lower? (Within range! Lol)

Originally Posted By: Kiiyote30Just started crow hunting, me and the ol man went out first day and shot threw a box of #7.5's skeet loads, missed everyone, though they where super high, was a great hour of shooting had about 50-75 come in.

2cnd time, same thing. But switched position in that same field.

Was using black socks propped up on sticks, which worked until they got close and could tell the difference. Primos Alpha dogg caller playing "GT_Crow Young" seem to bring'em in.

If I where to buy a owl decoy would you think that would bring them down lower? (Within range! Lol) I thought the same thing would work with a hawk decoy, made some crow decoys and stapled one around the hawks feet as I've read on crowbusters to do, used it once and said to [beeep] with it havn't even brought it since and I've actually killed crows since then at that time I hadn't even got one and I was having your exact problem they just would not come close enough I blame my gun even now because it isn't full choked but it has worked.

The very best advice is do not think that going and buying something is gonna help you if your bringing them in then nothing else is gonna help bring them in. If it was my bet they are spotting you and I think that was my problem. You need cover above you and all around get under some low lying tree limbs and sit and do not move at all don't even raise the gun until it's time to shoot not a second early they turn on a flinch. Wear camo from top to bottom, face mask, long sleeves, gloves, and pants make sure it's the best camo you have. They have eagle eyesight and are extremely smart.

Another thing I've found helps get them close but it takes a super good blind is putting the caller about a foot away from you, I like to get in a cedar tree and have my caller in the same tree because they come right to it but my "blind" keeps me perfectly hidden.

Lastly is all shells will kill a crow, but I'd suggest using high brass #6 shot but that's just me and 10 other people will tell you 10 different things use what works for you.

My father and I used to hunting them like ducks. Set up about 50 decoys, had a hand made burlap blind and carried in a decoy back full of crown veg. to put around it. Used hand calls and a johnny stewart cassete player. We even carried an extendable pole that you would use to clean pools with to hang about a dozen high up in the trees. We'd set up before it got light and start calling as soon as we heard the first crow. We'd usually finish up just in time to catch the first NFL game of the day. You can only hunt them on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in PA. We'd always hunt them on Sundays cause we weren't into coyote hunting then and you couldn't hunt anything else. Sure was alot of stuff to set up and carry but man was it fun. We'd average about 20 or so an outing, but our record was 52 with three guys shooting.

Back