ATN X-Sight II 3-14x

FredMcIntire

I'm looking at purchasing some type of scope geared more to night hunting.... Call it what it is, I can't afford $3k for a thermal scope like the Armasight Zeus or some of the others.

Would the ATN X-Sight II at $569 at least get me a seat in the stadium if I can't afford to play the game ?

Is there a better solution to my dilemma ?

Thanks for your input !

Fred

Last edited:
Get into the night hunting game with what you can afford at the time. There seems to be plenty of budget scopes out there that will get you into night vision. You hear the phrase buy once cry once all the time and I hate that phrase! Don't wait until you can run out and buy the best stuff because for some people that could take years.

There is some very good info on this site in regards to what you are looking for, I would call it a good dilemma that you are looking to get into the NV world. It's a blast and very addicting. Good luck with what you go with I'm sure you will enjoy it.

The xsight II or the photon I think is a good entry level setup...I own a 3-14 Xsight and so far I like it...But it is a bit cluttered with a ton of features a lot of people won't probably use. I do however like the video and photo capabilities..

I agree. If you wait til you can afford the Mercedes, you may be walking a long time.

Thanks for pointing out the Photon... I'll look at it too.

Fred

I just sold my photon to upgrade to thermal.

My advice is go with the photon. If you like the ATN better then go that route.
Make sure you get a $30-40 futura evolva IR light from amazon and have at it.

Works very well if you know where they are likely to come from, but the narrow field of view is an issue if scanning with it if you plan to hunt tight areas.
This is one I shot last year at 75 yds on a power line ROW.
Coyote with the photon, YouTube

Originally Posted By: dkarreBut it is a bit cluttered with a ton of features a lot of people won't probably use. I do however like the video and photo capabilities..

Why I went with the Photon, lots of bad press with the ATN. Lots of features lots of problems was what I took away from guys who had them.

Originally Posted By: gunslinger81I just sold my photon to upgrade to thermal.

My advice is go with the photon. If you like the ATN better then go that route.
Make sure you get a $30-40 futura evolva IR light from amazon and have at it.

Works very well if you know where they are likely to come from, but the narrow field of view is an issue if scanning with it if you plan to hunt tight areas.
This is one I shot last year at 75 yds on a power line ROW.
Coyote with the photon, YouTube

thanks for the video, good shot

Well, that was quick. Sold my photon last week.
Bought the flir scout and took it out for a night coyote hunt.
Sending the flir back and I'll be going back to some night vision. Maybe another photon or I might give the x-sight a try. The digital nv just works better around my place. I just need something with a little less magnification than the 4.6x. So maybe I'll be shopping around.

Originally Posted By: gunslinger81Well, that was quick. Sold my photon last week.
Bought the flir scout and took it out for a night coyote hunt.
Sending the flir back and I'll be going back to some night vision. Maybe another photon or I might give the x-sight a try. The digital nv just works better around my place. I just need something with a little less magnification than the 4.6x. So maybe I'll be shopping around.

The ATN X Sight II is 3-14 power.

I ordered the equinox since I'd like to have a handheld capable unit.

But if it's not up to par, then I think I'm going to try that ATN sight.

FredMcIntire,
One thing you may want to also consider is that the x sight mounts directly to your rail. The photon needs a set of rings or a mount which will run you some additional cash, putting you up in the X sight price territory.

Sure would love to have some videos of the X-Sight II's being used predator hunting especially with that onboard auto shot recording that is available.

Originally Posted By: Coach512How bad is the pixelation when you zoom in?

I have had the same question and asked several owners and here is what I can gather: for the 3x14 - up to 10 is pretty good. For the 5x20 - up to 15 is pretty good. Past those numbers is starts to pixelate but you are still getting significant magnification even if you can't see clear for the entire X range.

I am just getting interested in this whole night vision/thermal thing and boy it is mind boggling. I have a few questions and maybe some of you can answer or direct me to someone that can. As other have stated, I don't think I want to fork over several thousand $$$'s not knowing much about all of this, so here goes. I see that they offer NV in what I call typical riflescope magnification ranges...say like a 4x16 power...does the night vision scope actually work just like a riflescope in that magnification range? If so, then why are you limited to 100 - 150yds max range on NV? Does the NV "scope" actually mount on the rifle just as a regular scope? I have seen rifles pictured with a regular scope on them and then a second device up against the end of the scope...what's that? Then I start reading about the whole thermal vision thing...does it ever end? OK, by now I bet most of you are laughing uncontrollably, but I really don't know a [beeep] thing about this stuff and hope you can at least get me headed the right direction. Thanks

Gene

I have the 3-14 Xsight II. The Xsight doesn't operate as a normal scope to a point. The magnification is digital vs optical. It will mount up to your rifle on a picatinny rail just like any other rifle scope. As far as range of shooting, in the daytime you can shoot as far as you would like, the picture is really crisp and clear if focused properly. At night you can only see as far as your ambient light or IR light allows. The new stock light that comes with the sight is pretty nice, I'm guessing if focused properly you could get 200 yards easy. I have upgraded my IR light to a sniper hog light 66lrx. With that If I can see out past 400. Hope this info helps

GAnderson,

1. Yes some of the NV scopes, those with variable power work similar to a regular scope however there is a catch. First you have to have NV power to see at distance. It's referred to as Gen 1, 2, 3 with 3 being the best, usually seeing more detail at greater distances with less light than say Gen 1, but comes at higher costs $$$.
Also, many of the NV scopes are digital zoom vs the optical zoom in conventional scopes. Digital zoom uses pixels like a camera and the higher zoom the less the quality of your view.

2. There are NV scopes which mount just like conventional and there are "clip ons" which attach to your conventional scope and give you a NV view thru your conventional scope.

3. Thermal is not NV. NV helps you see in the dark. Thermal helps you identify heat sources and work both day and night. When you look through thermal, all heat sources appear highlighted. An animal, a person, a hot vehicle hood stick out like a "sore thumb". To a certain degree, thermal also helps you see in the dark but not on the same level as NV. Thermal basically gives you the highlighted outline of a warm or hot object.
4. There is "no end" to it. You can pretty much spend as much as you want on this stuff. For some, like me, looking through thermal once was addicting to the point "I had to have it" sorta like heroin I guess although I never had that lol.

Last edited:
dkarre and weekender, thanks for the reply and info. I kind of figured that the power range was not exactly like it was on a regular rifle scope, but couldn't really get confirmation reading the various literature on the various models. I read a lot on the NV versus thermal and it seems to vary some as to which is the best set up or like a lot have posted...scan with thermal and shoot with NV. Does the "clip" on version utilize the IR light as well? would it then be a fixed power unit and you just use your power range on the scope to "zoom" close or far or am I thinking wrong on this? It seems that this option would be better...??? If you only had 1 system to use...either NV or Thermal...which would you go with? Thanks again.

Gene

Back