cci vs federal

I have been using CCI small rifle match primers for years and now see they are up up 56.00 per thousand and Federal are 36.00 aside from which primer your gun likes does anyone see a reason to pay the extra 20.00 for CCI?

I have used them all and rem.match primers seem to work as well as any for less than 40.00 and they are always on the shelf.i would always use them in my S&W MP BECAUSE THEY HAVE A THICKER CUP

Last edited:
CCI BR-4 and 7 1/2 are thick cup primers. 7 1/2 has more flame than the cci BR-4.

Cci 400 is a thin cup primer and will pierce on high pressure, if you are shooting a 2 oz trigger, often the piercing of the primer will send the firing pin flying in reverse and break the 2 oz trigger.

I have shot my best groups with my .221 Fireball, .204 Ruger, .223 and .223 rifles using CCI BR4 primers. So yeah, I like them a lot.

But the price on them has just gotten crazy out of hand. The last time I bought a couple of bricks I had to pay around $40 and I cringed doing that. $60? I will leave them on the shelf in the store.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI have shot my best groups with my .221 Fireball, .204 Ruger, .223 and .223 rifles using CCI BR4 primers. So yeah, I like them a lot.

But the price on them has just gotten crazy out of hand. The last time I bought a couple of bricks I had to pay around $40 and I cringed doing that. $60? I will leave them on the shelf in the store.

I just gave $60 because thats all the shop had. Will be on the lookout for Remington or even Federal GM from here on out though. Magnums were about $40, maybe I should have tried them.

Off subject a little but when I worked at the gun shop, we sold a lot of Sellor and Bellot (SP). Everyone that used them said they were great and all of them were $20 a brick. I personally have never tried them.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOff subject a little but when I worked at the gun shop, we sold a lot of Sellor and Bellot (SP). Everyone that used them said they were great and all of them were $20 a brick. I personally have never tried them.

They are good primers. I think unless one is shooting for money, they'll seldom see enough difference in primers to justify "match" primers.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogOff subject a little but when I worked at the gun shop, we sold a lot of Sellor and Bellot (SP). Everyone that used them said they were great and all of them were $20 a brick. I personally have never tried them.

They are good primers. I think unless one is shooting for money, they'll seldom see enough difference in primers to justify "match" primers.

We sold a truck load of their pistol ammo as well. It was very good and accurate ammo. Shot a bunch of the 9mm stuff. $10 bucks for a box of 50 and it is all brass cased.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOff subject a little but when I worked at the gun shop, we sold a lot of Sellor and Bellot (SP). Everyone that used them said they were great and all of them were $20 a brick. I personally have never tried them.

i picked up a brick, just to see how they were

their small pistol primers are just a RCH larger on the OD than cci 500's are, and were very tight going into my 38 special brass.

that said they shot just fine, but i put them back in the stash for lean times or if i get a batch of primer pockets that start to loosen up and i want to cycle them one more time around.

I actually prefer the federal primers. 205m 210m 215m. I atarted using them back when I got my first 300wea. Been using the ever since 1991. However, I do have a pretty good stock of cci and remingtons also.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pyscodogOff subject a little but when I worked at the gun shop, we sold a lot of Sellor and Bellot (SP). Everyone that used them said they were great and all of them were $20 a brick. I personally have never tried them.

We sold a truck load of their pistol ammo as well. It was very good and accurate ammo. Shot a bunch of the 9mm stuff. $10 bucks for a box of 50 and it is all brass cased.

The Cabela's "Herter's" ammo is S&B as well.

Back