What to do now?

jbo225

Ok so I got a B square scope mount for Christmas for my 222 mounted my redfield revolution on went to sight in and ran out of elevation so what now? Should I use the scope rings that came with the B square base should I put the original rings that I had on the scope back on? I'm puzzled I started at 25yards just to get on paper

seems like there is a lot of these ran out of adjustment threads on here. maybe i just been real lucky but i have mounted probably close to 100 scopes on my rifles over the years. never had a problem with that.

wish i could help you. but i am as lost as you are.

If I'm reading this right, you have previously had the scope on the gun, I'm guessing it was shooting fine, you added a B square scope mount and now you have ran out of elevation? True?

I would remove the scope and shim up the front ring using card paper stock. Use as much as needed to raise the front of the scope to get it back in sync. This is one way to correct your problem.

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
Yes you are right had a different mount on it put this mount on to give clearance for a 40mm and yes then I ran out of elevation

Two piece mount or one piece?? Reason I ask, if its a two piece shimming the front only can tweek your scope tube. A two piece may not be so bad. Where is the bullet hitting at 25yds?

Sometimes the front and rear bases are not the same thickness. Check that first. You may have them on in reverse. Make sure they are for your gun. If all else fails, get a set of Burris Signature with the plastic/nylon inserts for elevation. 10MOA, 20MOA or send the bases back.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGburris zee rings, or a scope with more adjustment.

Those are band-aids to a bigger problem.

The base currently on the rifle is likely canted the wrong way. That or the rings are not consistent to each other.

Measure base and make sure it is either level or canted nose down. See the link for some explanation on this.

http://warnescopemounts.com/20moa-explained/

Last edited:
I ran into that problem using low rings on my .308, used a piece of feeler gauge for years for a shim until I bought medium height rings.

Last edited:
A little more info on the scope and bullet impact would be helpful. A 223 zero'ed at 25yds will be way high at 100yds. What are the adjustment click values on your scope???

Well it's redfield revolution 4x12 I just started at 25yrds so I can get on paper due to I removed one scope from off of it and put the redfield on first shot shot about 13-14 inches low adjusted accordingly and after 3rd shot I ran out of elevation at this point it's was still about 6-7in low and it's 1/4moa

Not to discount previous comments, but

I haven't seen that you centered the reticle in the scope between mounts. Could be that your first set up had moved the windage adjustment too far left or right to keep your elevation adjustment from being Max'd out. Since a scope is curved, when the windage is too far in either direction, the curvature of the inside of the scope restricts the amount of elevation adjust available.

Starting with the windage adjustment-----To center your reticle, turn the adjustment all the way in one direction, then count the revolutions that it takes to get it all the way to the opposite direction, then divide it by 2, and turn it back again that many revolutions.

If your scope mount has a windage screw adjustment, bore sight your reticle and move the mounts windage adjust so that the cross hairs are centered in your target. Or I use the vertical aluminum parts of my neighbors windows, to center the reticle in the bore. This should minimize the windage adjustment that you have to make with your scope, which should maximize the possible elevation adjustment.

If you have a weaver or picatiny mount, you probably don't have a windage screw, and must hope that all the holes and mounts line up with the bore.

Also, assuming that your bases mount to a common flat surface, you can measure the height of each of your bases with a caliper to check whether you bases will be parallel with bore, or of different heights.

Interesting to see things like cardboard stock and duct tape listed as shim material. I'd high,y recommend using something that won't compress or degrade. The side of an aluminum can is perfect. Burris zee rings are better and standard for me.

Set the scope on a mirror with some good lighting in the room. Now look through it and do the cross hairs align or are you seeing two sets of reticles? If you're seeing two sets the turn the turrets until you see just one reticle and now the scope is "centered". This is where you should start when mounting a scope. This works on second focul plane scopes, not sure about first focal plane scopes.

Back