Hodgdon Hybrid 100v

jlsbassman

Has anyone been using this powder with consistent results. I've been using it in my 243 RPR with 105 Amax. I am getting better velocity and just as consistent groups as with h4350. Just hardly ever see anyone talking about.

I've been using it quite a bit in my .243 with 95 gr Nosler Partitions and also in my 7mm rem with 160 gr nosler accubonds with really good results in both. It seems to always be on the shelf and it meters pretty good too.

Using it with 70 grain Varmageddons in my 6mm Remmy. No idea on speed but 1/2" accuracy and mamers coyotes. Have heard lot-lot can be inconsistent but loading from my original can so cannot speak on that.

I know of 2 shops that have 6-8# each. Not very popular for sure.

Last edited:
I've been running 3050-3070 with 105 amax out of my RPR just below max listed charge. In order to get that velocity out of h4350 I would have to be 2-3 grains over max charge.

Only thing is, it's not one of the extreme powders so I don't know how much temp will effect it. Big temp swing in Texas. Last week it was 20 degrees, in the summer 105-110.

Originally Posted By: jlsbassmanOnly thing is, it's not one of the extreme powders so I don't know how much temp will effect it. Big temp swing in Texas. Last week it was 20 degrees, in the summer 105-110.

May make a difference if shooting/hunting with same loads in those conditions. I would be tempted to find a Hodgdon Extreme that works and buy a keg of that if powders are hard to find powders in your neck of the woods.

I have been using it in 243 win & 88 bergers with half MOA & highest velocity of anything I have tried.
It also works with a 300 WSM & 168 bergers. Just under MOA.

The jury is still out on it for me. Recently picked up a pound of it and made some loads for the usual bullets I use for my 243 Win. Results were not even in the ball park, accuracy wise, form what I was getting with IMR 4350 or WW-760 for this round. Not sure what the hoopla is all about yet, at least with 243 Win anyways. Your results may vary. If it works for you good on you. By all means use it!

Robert

Last edited:
I mostly shoot when it's warmer so most of my loads are worked up at temps above 80-90 degrees. I have several pounds of this on hand but I do have about 12 pounds of h4350 that I've been using with Berger 105gr hybrid targets.

Have used H100V in a variety of cartridges for awhile now. For example, the 243, 7mm-08, 257R, 6mmRem, 7x57, 30-06, and 6.5x55. Chuckle, even tried it in .308, with decent results, after a fellow range member ran it thru his Sierra quick load program for me. Probably have used at least 8 lbs of it. Like jlsbassman, live in Tx, so warm to hot much of the time when shooting. So, can't comment on its temperature sensitivity. Results for accuracy varied, but generally satisfied enough to pursue trying it. Liked the way it metered and Hodgdon has load data for quite a variety of cartridges with it. Besides, price of it is generally lower than other Hodgdon powders I might possibly use.

Gave some H100V to another retired range member to try. He's much more methodical in his reloading and owns better shooting rifles than me. What cartridge(s?) he tried it in, I do not know. But, he was impressed with it enough to recommend it to another serious shooter he'd known for a long time. Other guy tried it and his comment was, "why haven't we heard about this powder before?" He too, was impressed with it. Now, the first guy will stop using H100V due to the powder leaving a hard to remove black coating on neck of his fired brass. I too have this problem, but it doesn't bother me as much as it did him.

Nothing a good SS tumbler won't clean. I haven't noticed cases being any harder to than with other powders. I do likes it's availablility and the way it meters.

Originally Posted By: jlsbassmanI tried h1000 but couldn't get any where close to the velocity without going way over on the max charge.

Try a cci 250, fed 215, and std win primer...Bug hole accuracy in a lot of guns, but variations in primers are huge!

I've been using only Winchester primers as I have several thousand of them. I'll get some of the others and try them. I like using the h1000 as it is also readily available, but could not get the velocity from it I was looking for.

Tried it at a friends recommendation. Its all I use in the 243 with heavy bullets now, exceptional accuracy with highest chronograph'd velocities.

I am using 100v in a 6mm ai. Working great for me with both 87 vmaxs and 80 ttsx. Both shoot to the same poi making switching from coyote to deer easier without have to zero the rifle for the different load. Wanting to try some of the new 108 elds with it next.

Back