Case Trimming Tip

BobF

When trimming cases on my Lyman case trimmer I have trouble getting the case off the pilot due to the burr formed. The cutter still is sharp. I polished the pilot but this did not help. I then cut a very small slit on the corner of the pilot near the cutter. As I keep cranking as I pull the pilot out of the case it smooths out the burr somewhat and it comes out easier. Any other tips?

I checked my trimmer head after reading these two replies. I had one lip of the cutter that would contact the case. The other three had a gap and did not contact the case. I carefully honed down the high lip and now the case contacts all the lips. There is a little burr but is a lot better.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesIf you are getting a inside bur, your pilot is not against the cutter. No gap, no bur.

What he said. I had the same problem with my RCBS. bought a new cutting head, didn't fix it. I went to a Wilson with the fin and a carbide bit. Seams to do a better job.

Originally Posted By: Wyoming Winchester
ninehorses said:
I went to a Wilson with the fin and a carbide bit. Seams to do a better job.

Me, too. I went from PIA pilots to the Wilson, and case holders. Nice square trims, and burrs are handled by the chamfer tool. I still keep my Lyman around for pistol cases(rarely need to trim pistol brass), and for wildcats, until I can get a case holder from Wilson. Every time I have to use the Lyman, I remind myself why I bought the Wilson.
wink.gif

Squeeze

I agree with Sneeze. I had a Lyman first, had the same problem. I did find that the pilots from Lyman had a slight rounding where it should be against the cutter. And I didn't like hos short the pilots were, so I started making my own on my lathe. I made them the same diameter, but made them about 3/8" long so they went all the way through the case neck, and then gave them a sharp end before the stem that fit in the cutter. Worked much better.

Then I bought a Wilson. The Lyman has been on the shelf ever since. If you do your own barrel work, it is very easy to make your own case holder using the reamer. Or have your smith make it for a barrel drop. If not, the holders aren't expensive from Wilson, but it trims cases very nicely.

Back