sighting in for antelope?

swimmer

Going to hunt antelope in Wyoming fall '17. Shooting a 30-06 Core Lokt 150 gr. PSP round. Is 200yd a reasonable sight-in distance? At 100yds, where should be my point of aim to be zeroed at 200yds (how high above bulls eye?)
Thanks in advance for any help provided.

A 200 yard zero is sufficient. As long as you can hold on hair out to about 250-300, I think you'll be fine. I've shot nearly two dozen goats in WY and the longest shot I took was 287 yards.

Have you decided which hunt area you will be hunting in?
Are you firm on your choice of 30-06?
The reason I ask this is, many people tend to think they need a more powerful rifle that will allow them to reach farther out than the shots they normally have in their home areas. Whenever a client asks me which caliber or rifle they should bring out, I will always tell them to bring the one they are most comfortable with. If they don't have a favorite though, I will recommend something fun and easy to shoot like a .243 or 25-06. It doesn't take much gun to put an antelope down and most people tend to bring way more gun than is necessary.

Whichever caliber you choose, make sure to get plenty of time in at the range. Try and get comfortable shooting in adverse conditions too. One thing you can count on in Wyoming, is that the wind will be blowing and it will often require a person to account for it when making their shot. If a person can get comfortable shooting at ranges of 400 to 500 yards, you should be more than capable of taking home a nice animal.

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy the planning stage. That is almost as much fun as the hunt itself. If there is anything that I can help you with, or if you have questions for a local, don't hesitate to get ahold of me and I will try to help.

Tex

Originally Posted By: Tex AdamsHave you decided which hunt area you will be hunting in?
Are you firm on your choice of 30-06?
The reason I ask this is, many people tend to think they need a more powerful rifle that will allow them to reach farther out than the shots they normally have in their home areas. Whenever a client asks me which caliber or rifle they should bring out, I will always tell them to bring the one they are most comfortable with. If they don't have a favorite though, I will recommend something fun and easy to shoot like a .243 or 25-06. It doesn't take much gun to put an antelope down and most people tend to bring way more gun than is necessary.

Whichever caliber you choose, make sure to get plenty of time in at the range. Try and get comfortable shooting in adverse conditions too. One thing you can count on in Wyoming, is that the wind will be blowing and it will often require a person to account for it when making their shot. If a person can get comfortable shooting at ranges of 400 to 500 yards, you should be more than capable of taking home a nice animal.

Good luck on your hunt and enjoy the planning stage. That is almost as much fun as the hunt itself. If there is anything that I can help you with, or if you have questions for a local, don't hesitate to get ahold of me and I will try to help.

Tex
+1, good advise, imo, 30-06 with the 150 is over kill

My daughter killed her antelope this year right at 150 yards with an 87gr Vmax out of a 6 Creedmoor. They're not hard to kill. And there shouldn't be any reason why you need to long range one. What area are you looking at hunting in?

I'm hunting near McFadden -CHEYANE AREA. I'll be with an Outfitter - Tyler Simms. Taking my three grown sons - we can only squeeze in a 3 day hunt.

I use a 100 yard zero for my .243/6x45/6x6.8 all 95g noslers, those will drop em at 600 yards easy.
I have a chart for my dial ups if needed to 700 yards.
They are very easy to kill so IMO 7-08 is the largest Id use & with a 120g bullet.
My 100 yard zero works fine for me to 300 yards before I decide to twist up.
Of course my speeds are faster w/95g.
30-06 as stated above Id do a 2" High at 100 yards and hold on high shoulder to 400 yds should do the job. Id also stick with a 100-130g bullet max.

the '06 will do fine, though a little big for speedgoats, but if it is what you are comfortable with go with it. I shot my speedgoat at 300 flat with a 6.5 creedmoor, DRT! I have videos of the 6.5 in action, I shot my Mule deer at 310, she went 18 yards and fell flat. Pm me if you are interested in seeing them.

as far as ballistics, find out what your velocity is, and get a ballistic table, set for 200 yrd zero. and whatever it says at 100 is where you zero your rifle at 100 (ie, 1.5" high at 100) etc...

I know Tyler. McFadden is between Rock River and Arlington. Lots of rolling hills and broken up country. Plenty of wide open spaces too. If what you have is an '06 and you don't flinch, blink. and yank the trigger, a 150 will work fine. Sighting in 3" high at 100 yards is good advice. Just be sure to know your drop out to 400 yards.

FWIW, most of the guides I know prefer to get closer than 400 yards. I guided Pronghorn hunters for years and I would hang my head in shame if I couldn't get them on an 80 inch + buck at under 300 yards.

Tyler is good folks, give him a call and ask him what he thinks. Not sure what he does with clients after the shot, but you will be in some decent coyote and p-dog country.

Back