I Got A Call

Tex Adams

I shared this on another board and thought it may be a good conversation starter here as well.

Quote:I was kicked back last night when the phone rang from a number I didn't recognize. When I answered, a young man introduced himself and said he was on Christmas break from college and he wanted to talk about a possible trapline. He mentioned that a former government trapper who worked in this area had given him my name and number and told him he should call me. The young man, while on school break, was wanting to run a trapline and had planned to do it in an area where I run my hounds. 

He asked what roads and areas I usually ran and then explained what routes he was planning to run. Throughout his explanations he was adamant that he did not want any conflict and he most assuredly didn't want to risk catching a dog. I'm about the only one I know of who runs in this particular area, and it is public land, so I could not and would not try and point him to another area. He then told me again that he was only home for two weeks and just wanted to set a few traps and snares.

I was somewhat shocked and very happy that someone was kind enough to call and not only give me a heads up, but also offer to go somewhere else, if their trapping was going to interfere with my hound hunting. It struck me as such a kind gesture, I told him to go right ahead and have it, but please let me know how he does. Two weeks won't kill me as I have other places to go, and I hope he has some very good luck down there. I just thought it showed alot of class and respect for others that he even called to let me know of his plans. 

Be sure and help the kids out, even if their pursuits aren't exactly yours.

Tex

Back