20-250 and Benchmark powder

Matt K

Hey guys, for those of you that have rifles in 20-250, may I suggest you try some benchmark powder. Through my load development, it seemed extremely stable. From 33.5 to 35.5grs, all groups were printing high left from point of aim. I was shooting a 28gr brass bullet and groups started to shrink dramatically the higher the charge. Very excited about this rifle/load combo.

Interesting...

I'm running 38 and 39 gr. bullets, so I think BM is just too fast for my application, but I've never tried it. Current working load for mine is 39 BK's w/N550.

What velocity are you getting with those light pills? Any idea what the BC is on them? Used them on coyote yet? And where'd you get them?

- DAA

What twist rate are you running? I am shooting 55 grain bergers in a 8 twist using 4350 at 3810 fps in my 20-250AI. The rifle is incredibly accurate and easy to shoot. I never tried any other powder the 4350 just worked for the heavy 55's.
John

DAA, The bullets are made by Lehigh Defense. I have 500 of them and I've randomly checked over 60 of them with calipers and they're all the exact same length down to .001". The BC isn't that good. Listed at .162. And I'm still trying to budget a chrono so I'm not sure on the speed. But they're designed to penetrate a couple inches before fragmenting. I'm going to call coyotes tomorrow with a coworker and hopefully can report back to you with results!

Originally Posted By: BreatheandsqueezeWhat twist rate are you running? I am shooting 55 grain bergers in a 8 twist using 4350 at 3810 fps in my 20-250AI. The rifle is incredibly accurate and easy to shoot. I never tried any other powder the 4350 just worked for the heavy 55's.
John

Man I bet that's a killer good rig you have set up there! Better BC than. .22 and intense speed lol!

Oh and it's a 12 twist barrel!!!!

Last edited:
So, you are shooting a low BC bullet, have no chronograph to check speed, or more importantly, consistency, and you are using a powder that is pretty well universally regarded as a poor choice for an overbore cartridge such as the 20-250.....

And you are recommending it?

Last edited:
Yes, you are quite correct. The point of my post was to say I was getting good accuracy. Good accuracy is good accuracy, no matter how many rude questions you ask over the internet
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Matt KYes, you are quite correct. The point of my post was to say I was getting good accuracy. Good accuracy is good accuracy, no matter how many rude questions you ask over the internet
smile.gif

Easy to jump on someone who gets good accuracy from a powder/bullet combo that is not the norm. But generally a good group here.

Thanks for reporting your finds though, sometimes things that work in the real world, don't work on paper....

I would be curious as to the speeds you are getting with that powder....My guess would be several hundred feet per second slower than a more appropriate powder would yield. Accuracy alone means little....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: liliysdadI would be curious as to the speeds you are getting with that powder....My guess would be several hundred feet per second slower than a more appropriate powder would yield. Accuracy alone means little....

Never knew an animal that could calculate speed. Especially the ones you see along the road....

Thanks brad! I had this feeling that not all of the guys on here get satisfaction out of starting cyber war! Being disrespectful is a choice. If I can budget a chrono one day, I'll be able to get some numbers. But accuracy is always paramount, at least for me personally! Maybe not for everyone!

I can live with "200 fps below" and good accuracy. [beeep], I'm not even a great shot so speed alone would not do me much good. I need all the accuracy I can get lol

I do not feel that disagreement is disrespectful, nor do I much worry about other's feelings.

Seems a bit strange that one would build a rifle in a cartridge that is designed for speed, yet not care about velocity. Another fallacy is that accuracy is paramount...Accuracy is absolutely not the only factor. Accuracy without consistency is worthless, accuracy without speed is more difficult to utilize.

Some folks are even willing to sacrifice accuracy for speed...

You have a good point. But in my original post, I simply stated that the benchmark was giving very consisting POI through a good variation of charge weights. Maybe it's just me but that sounds like consistency. But then again, I went to trade school, so....

100yd, and even 200yd, groups tell very little about load deviation. Without a chrono, and target verification at range, its all just a guessing game. I have seen loads with a 50fps SD produce ragged holes at 100yds. Of course, they fall apart at distance...

No war whatsoever, simply discussion.

Yep! These are things I'll just have to learn along the way. What I do know is the gun is slot of fun to shoot and am sure will work good for shooting coyotes at reasonable distances!

I'm guessing that if an animal could calculate speed Deer/vehicle collisions would, for the most part be nonexistent.

But based on what I saw this year going to the farm I'm pretty sure they can't.

Funny subject though.

Here Kitty Kitty

Originally Posted By: Matt KHey guys, for those of you that have rifles in 20-250, may I suggest you try some benchmark powder. Through my load development, it seemed extremely stable. From 33.5 to 35.5grs, all groups were printing high left from point of aim. I was shooting a 28gr brass bullet and groups started to shrink dramatically the higher the charge. Very excited about this rifle/load combo.

Not knowing your case capacity exactly and the 28 grain not in the database a 32 grain Lehigh and 35 grains of Benchmark will be around 4200 fps out of a 24" bbl with a case capacity of 43 grains according to QL.

Yes I would agree that it can probably be pushed much faster. I haven't had any time to go out to the range since then to keep working on it. I would like to get my hands on a chrono soon!

Back