Broke my first one today !

Tim Neitzke

I knew it was only a matter of time....

Had a few 17-204 R loads I needed to tear down . I had changed powder and neck tension , so I needed to pull some bullets. Got out my RCBS hammer style puller and went at it. Never had a problem with heavier bullets like 100 gr plus, but these little 30 gr don't have much to offer . Only made it half way through my dozen and busted it in half !
scared.gif
I was not mad, I kinda laughed a little.
grin.gif

Must be time for a collet stlye .

Anyone else break one ?

I bought my RCBS kinetic bullet puller back in the 70's and aint broke it yet.

But like you I failed miserably at pulling pullets out of my .17 Remington. Just aint much mass is there? I gave up after whacking my concrete floor as well as a steel block about half a million times.

The good news is that I can bench press 300 pounds with my right arm now.
smile.gif

Rusty, I'm glad it's not just me then..haha

I normally just grab a chunk of wood to smack it on and all is well. I was getting tired of loosing so I tried the concrete floor. Bad idea, I guess ?
blushing.gif

It works easier and better than anything else I tried...and it does't require a mess of collets or excessive banging. Also, I have observed zero projectile damage while using the G-n-P. I like it quite well.

I try and avoid screw ups so I don't have to use it all the much but when I do, the grip n pull works flawlessly and if you ever have a large amount of ammo you want to pull the bullets on it's soooo much faster than any other puller I'm aware of.

I gave one as a Christmas gift a few years ago and the person I gave it to kind of shrugged it off as ehh no big deal, but then he used it a few times and told me it was one of the best gifts he'd ever been given.

Those 17's are harder to pull with the hammer type then any other caliber I've ever tried, I have pulled crimped loads that was easier. Last time I used mine, the head went flying across the room, yes I was pulling 17 rem bullets.

I saw those grip and pulls and did some research on them, think I am going to give them a try.

Booger

I broke a RCBS a long time ago, I replaced it with one from Midway and am working on breaking that one also!
laugh.gif

Good thing though, I don't need to use it as often as I did when I first got into reloading!

Some loads are difficult to pull.

Using my Rock Chucker press, I have placed a large 1 1/2" washer over the top of the threads, raised the bullet to stick out the top, and still not be able to pull the bullet when crushing it with a set of Vise grips which indicates that there was way too much neck tension on the case when I seated the bullet.

I now use a Hornady Cam Loct bullet puller.

I have busted three of the hammer type bullet pullers that I can remember, they are like a light bulb, they just burn out.

I used the hammer style for a short period of time. Waaaay to hard and noisy for me. Went to an RCBS collet style and so much easier. I still have the hammer if you want it. I have no plans on using it again. I do like the Grip-N-Pull. May have to get one of those myself.

i use the collet ones and midway and amazon have the collets on sale quite a bit for about $7-8. I'm curious about the grip and pull how do you hold the shell to be able to pull the bullet? with the collet die you just put the shell in the shell holder and up in the die, screw down and lower the ram and done.

had to pull about 50rds of it. 223 was seated too deep as i was using a different bullet the session before and 44mag that i found my good load and had 4-5 5 packs loaded with different charges and figured just run the most accurate than waste powder and bullets. i think i was done in about 10min with all 50rds.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI used the hammer style for a short period of time. Waaaay to hard and noisy for me. Went to an RCBS collet style and so much easier. I still have the hammer if you want it. I have no plans on using it again. I do like the Grip-N-Pull. May have to get one of those myself.

I really like the hammer for when I'm doing load work and seating depth. If I get a test batch that is a little to deep, I will put them in the hammer and give them just a lil tap to pull the bullet slightly. Then back to the seater , that's where I want it.

I sent RCBS and email , to see what they say first.

Thanks !

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI really like the hammer for when I'm doing load work and seating depth. If I get a test batch that is a little to deep, I will put them in the hammer and give them just a lil tap to pull the bullet slightly. Then back to the seater , that's where I want it.

I sent RCBS and email , to see what they say first.

Thanks !

This is when I use my GnP the most and it works very slick when you have two presses setup on the bench.

I'll be very surprised in RCBS doesn't just send you a new one. I have mostly Redding reloading stuff but I had a problem with my Chargemaster once and before I could even send it back, they had a new one sitting on my door step. I was pretty impressed with their CS.

B23, I've only got one press,but 2 sure would be handy.

I've read that people have not gotten a reply from an email, but days later stuff is in the mail box.

I hear/read all good things of them !

What was the prob with the Chargemaster ?

They keypad wouldn't input the correct symbol/number. It's been a few years now so I don't remember exactly but if I recall the #7 didn't function on the keypad.

I never really thought having multiple presses would be all the beneficial, until, I got a second press. lol Having two presses setup on your reloading bench really is quite handy and even though I use my Redding Ultramag press most of the time, I wouldn't want to be without my Redding Boss either.

Last edited:
Back